The role allergies play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The role allergies play?

I think many of us would be interested to know if you think allergies play a role in the various symptoms we suffer, and if so, to what extent.

I have a gut feeling that somewhere in the equation of my own problems there is an issue of allergy or hypersensitivity - partly because of the bad reactions I've had to all the medications and drops I've been prescribed.

In spite of huge improvement in meibomian function, and eyes that look perfectly healthy (from the outside) and don't feel all that dry any more, the lids themselves still often feel extremely irritated.

Could something be inflaming the conjunctival layer - it surely can't still be the after effects of the fluorescein last december?!

I wonder what your views are on a possible connection?

The role allergies play

Eva,

I feel you are on to something. I have meibomian gland problems. Patanol gives me tremendous relief. Since I don't have itching, I never thought I had allergies. My doctor said the Patanol takes care of the T-cell problem and my eyelids look less swollen and red after I take the Patanol and use a cold compress. I think it's all tied in together.

Comment

Eva and I had been exchanging thoughts on this question. Here is my response.

"I had been pondering these very questions and had to call upon a colleague with more of an advance understanding of allergies. He commented, "When someone's inflammatory cascade is set into constant motion, they begin to develop more hypersensitivities." That made a lot of sense to me, and explains to me why many dry eye sufferers have seemingly increasing allergies (non-ocular included).

So there is a very strong connection. Also, the conjunctiva of the inner lids can be very slow to return to normal after a chronic inflamed state. I have seen conditions like GPC persist for many many months even after some pretty aggressive treatments. Not to mention that they are more prone for flare ups (hypersensitivity). Nobody really knows exactly why for sure...yet."

I look forward to learning more about the interconnection of dry eye and the allergic response. Unfortunately, many of the texts only focus on ocular allergy, when what we may be uncovering is more of a systemic hypersensitivity. I will keep the community posted on anything of interest.

Comment

Working...
      X