Neurontin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neurontin

My eye doctor has mentioned Neurontin as a way to significantly reduce my eye pain. Has anyone heard of it? Has anyone tried it? How much does it work?

Have heard of it and it's used fairly frequently. I could not use it because it made my already dry eyes worse. This is not the same for everyone, however. If you have pain, it's worth a try. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Neurontin

I have been taking neurontin for my LASIK eye pain. It has really helped me, I was in so much pain. I still get some headaches, but the eye pain has reduced.

Comment

I have been on it, but not for my eye pain. Have arm pain but I can tell you it didn't help with either. What a blessing it would have been if my eyes felt better even if my arms didn't.

Not saying it won't help you but just want to let you know my experience with it.

Comment

also Tiagabene, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Doxepin, and Amitriptyline

I have not been on Neurontin, but I was once prescribed Tiagabene (a closely related drug) for my eye pain and rawness. . .I had some side-effects, and was too impatient with the drug, but the idea was a great one. . .I believe that these meds CAN make a good difference for us. . .

In this vein, I am curious whether anyone has been on Lyrica (closely related to the 2 drugs mentioned above) for DES pain. . .or on Cymbalta.

All of these drugs have the potential to reduce nerve-mediated pain, and may indeed help. Trial and error is the only way to find out how one will affect an individual. ..

Older drugs, like Doxepin and Amitriptyline (both very cheap, long-tested in the population, and available generically) are also still used for nerve-mediated pain. . .

Some years ago, I got full elimination of my burning eye pain through amitriptyline, at pretty low doses. . .

Go for it! and give each a chance to kick in!
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Hi. Not for dry eye or eye pain but I have peripheral neuropathy/rsd and I have tried neurontin,cymbalta,lyrica,etc. From what I know with these meds the relief varies and side effects. I had a hard time with neurontin and to of gotten to the amount needed for pain relief my side effects were too great. These drugs often take time to work and most people I know with nerve pain issues take an as needed pain relief like tramadol with it. If I can answer any ?'s please feel free. When I was at Cleveland Pain clinic some I think found relief in topomax. Not sure if it would help the eye area but if you get head aches it may.
            Last edited by GinaJ; 25-Apr-2008, 10:18.

Comment

Lyrica

I take Lyrica three times a day. I have Sjogren's with the nerve damage that causes feelings like I've been deep fried in hot oil. About a year ago I made the trip to Mayo Clinic and they raised my Lyrica dosage only 25mg. But it made such a difference in my life. There are side effects, like there are with any drug you take. It is entirely up to you if the side effects are worth the effort. I don't find that it makes my dry eyes any worse. But.....we need to raise the dose again and it makes my eyes worse at the higher dose. So, I've resigned myself to staying at the current dose.

The doctors tried me on Neurontin first. It is a close cousin to Lyrica. But I was unable to tolerate Neurontin. Made me realllllly stupid. Everyone reacts differently to medicines but I have read of lots of reports and some people tolerate the Neurontin and some don't. It is a medicine that has to be titrated up very slowly. Taking too much too fast will speed up the stupid feelings.

Anyway,
              good luck,
              Billye

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll bring them up with my eye doctor.

I'll be starting Topomax in the next few weeks and then probably try Neurotin after that.

Since it seems closely related, I also received nerve blocks in my head with Lydocane (spelling?). Unfortunately, it didn't work at all. Maybe someone would benefit from that.

Comment

Working...
                X