Camping with dry eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with dry eyes

As summer approaches I am constantly worrying about how I will ever be able to return to my active lifestyle in the great outdoors! At this point, I need to just figure out how to get up off the couch and go on with my life, so worrying about camping is a bit premature.

However, since I am thinking about it. . .

Is there anybody out there that goes on camping trips with severe dry eyes?

How do you manage?

My husband and I spend alot of time rafting and hiking in arid climates and I am just trying to figure out if I will be able to get this part of my life back. If I don't, I fear that it could really damage my relationship with my husband. Boo.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and I am feeling nervous about traveling to arid climates - I think the relative humidity can really affect how I feel. Any tips and experiences to share on this topic?

Thanks!!

MDE

I live in New Mexico, where it's very dry---but I'm used to it. I don't think aridity in itself is something to fear. Depending on where you go, the air may be cleaner---freer from molds and other allergens/irritants. But bring all your drops along, too.

But about camping. The things that wreck my eyes are: being overly tired, campfire smoke, extra exposure to sun and wind. I have a pair of fit-over foam-lined goggles for when my eyes are really bad, but other than that, I would recommend always wearing some sort of wrap-around sunglasses and a hat. Make time to stick to your routine---if you do warm compresses---take the time to treat your eyes at the campsite, too.

I used to work in a national park all summer long---field work in a hot, rocky canyon with blazingly bright cliffs. But I did OK. Somehow for me, being outside, being active (blinking a lot), drinking plenty of water, hat and sunglasses, being in a beautiful place with clean air----well, my eyes did better there than in town, at home.

One more thing--don't overexpose the rest of your skin---better to wear loose long-sleeved cotton shirts and pants than to have to smother your skin with sun-block on every exposed surface. The layers of cloth next to your skin trap moisture and help moderate your body temperature. I don't know if this is beneficial for dry eyes, but it reduces stress on your system.

Yes, those of us with dry eyes have more to keep track of and it affects our relationships (and we don't get much sympathy). Can you set some "conditions" at the outset---and discuss the problems? Husbands don't like to hear constant complaining, but they can be sympathetic overall if you "set the stage"---that you may need more time and understanding to deal with your eyes at times.

C

Comment

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for starting this topic and for giving advice. I did not go camping last year after I was diagnosed with rce's. I know that my husband really missed having me along, and I am going to try and get my courage up to try it this summer.

Thank you, calli66 & MDE!

--Liz

Comment

We went camping several times last summer on the Olympic peninsula. All my trouble was with my back not my eyes .

I think it's easier to forget about your eyes when you're camping. I mean...
        • You're relaxing
        • You're doing something fun
        • You're in cleaner air
        • You're NOT in an air-conditioned building
        • You're NOT staring at a computer
        • You're NOT reading Dry Eye Talk and being reminded all the time about your eyes
        • Et cetera...

All I remember specifically eye-related is that I preferred my Wileys to my Panoptx in terms of enjoying the view or trying to keep tabs on my faster-than-a-speeding-bullet daughter.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X