What numbing agent used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What numbing agent used?

Does anyone know what numbing agent they usually use when they insert the plugs?

Thanks
    Cabut
    Cabut
    65yr.old male, Arizona resident.

I don't know the name of it. Are you having an allergic reaction? I just had those drops today, plus the fluorecsing dye. I always carry a bottle of saline solution (what they sell for contact lens rinsing) with me, and extra vials of drops. As soon as I'm done with the doctor, I go into the restroom and wash my eyes, rinse them, blot them---and I keep doing that till no more yellow dye is present. Then I put in plenty of drops.

The idea is to get all those weird chemicals out of your eyes as soon as possible. Helps your eyes get back to normal pretty quick. I think the numbness wears off in about a half hour.

C

Comment

I was just curious what they use. I should have asked him myself. Whatever it was it lasted for hours and felt great until it wore off. Then, oh brother, they started to ache and itch. They are better now. but still not great.

Cabut
      Cabut

Comment

Not sure what the formal name is for "numbing drops!' But, you're right that after they wear off they can hurt like the dickens.

One time I had to go to an emergency room while we were traveling. I had a bad corneal erosion, but wasn't sure what was wrong. The er doc gave me a bottle of numbing drops! Told me to use them 4 x a day until I saw my eye physician. I saw my doc in a couple of days and he was aghast that I had a whole bottle of numbing drops. I could have done a lot of damage, but only used them a few times. The ER doc should have known better.

Cabut-sometimes I've told my doc to skip the numbing drops because I know I'll feel worse once they wear off.

Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
          Not sure what the formal name is for "numbing drops!' But, you're right that after they wear off they can hurt like the dickens.

One time I had to go to an emergency room while we were traveling. I had a bad corneal erosion, but wasn't sure what was wrong. The er doc gave me a bottle of numbing drops! Told me to use them 4 x a day until I saw my eye physician. I saw my doc in a couple of days and he was aghast that I had a whole bottle of numbing drops. I could have done a lot of damage, but only used them a few times. The ER doc should have known better.

Cabut-sometimes I've told my doc to skip the numbing drops because I know I'll feel worse once they wear off.

Lucy
          Hey Lucy, thanks for the advise and info.
          I have had DE for almost 5 years, but living in the desert in a particularly dry year with mesquite pollen to boot is torture!
          I ordered those goggles sold here, how about that Dwelle. Any good?

Cabut
          Cabut

Comment

My doctor always really flushes my eyes after he puts anything in them. I appreciate that. He told me that you can have the plugs done without pain with no numbing if a doctor takes his time. I wanted the numbing just for psychological reasons.

Comment

I ordered those goggles sold here, how about that Dwelle. Any good?
              Cabut-Dwelle has helped a lot of us and is certainly worth a try. It is a good night drop. I also wear the Tranquileyes at night. I have Panoptx goggles with my RX and wear them a lot instead of my regular glasses. Every little bit helps sometimes. There is a wealth of information on here as we're a bunch of Dry Eyed Folks!
              Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

The er doc gave me a bottle of numbing drops! Told me to use them 4 x a day until I saw my eye physician. I saw my doc in a couple of days and he was aghast that I had a whole bottle of numbing drops. I could have done a lot of damage, but only used them a few times.
                The ER doctor should have definitely known not to give you the whole bottle of numbing drops!! But, he's not the only doctor who has done such a thing. My friend suffered a severe abrasion from an ill-fitting contact lens and went to the ER in the middle of the night for treatment. The ER doc gave her the whole bottle of numbing drops and told her to use these drops every two hours. As she left, she heard the nurse say to the doctor, "Are you sure that you want to give her the drops?" She used the drops as directed for a day and half and had a large hole in her cornea by the time she was able to see her eye doctor!! The hole healed somewhat but she has permanent blurry vision from the affected corneal area. I didn't find out that this had happened to my friend until weeks later. So, as much as the numbing drops might relieve dry eye pain for a short time, it is definitely not a solution.

how about that Dwelle. Any good?
                Dwelle is the the only product that has enabled me to sleep through the night, thus helping my eyes to feel better during the day. I put a little extra in my eyes so that I can "glue" them shut. Before I used Dwelle, I would wake up every couple of hours and would be so exhausted the next day. This cycle made my eyes feel worse and my emotional state was not much better. I would give Dwelle a try. It's a great product!!

Comment

Working...
                X