SHould I or shouldn't I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHould I or shouldn't I

I know no one can answer this question for me but I figured I would pose it since I consider this board like family. I have been offered a very nice job that involves computer use--my biggest challenge. I really want the job but am scared about the computer. Not sure if I should make the leap or not. Would love to hear about success stories with computers. Thanks!
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Pc

Computers dont damage eyes. Staring, not blinking, and not taking 10 mins per hour is what causes the damage.
    Maybe not taking this job is like resigning yourself to the DES.
    My Dry eye don't stop me doing nuthin - just makes me enjoy it less.
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

I work essentially two full time jobs, with most days spent in front of the computer. Plugs and finding the right drops, an anti-glare screen and adjusting the vents at work so they don't blow in my eyes, and use of humidifiers have all helped me to continue to work with DES. Some days are worse than others. On bad days, I just take more breaks and leave the office for the lunch hour if I need to to give the eyes a break. If the job is one that allows telecommuting, take advantage of it and plan to work a couple of days a week from a more DES friendly environment. I think DES is like many other chronic problems. You can choose to rule it, or let it rule you. It just depends on how much pain you are willing to put up with to live as normal a life as possible.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I say go for it! I've had 2 big promotions since having lasik and dry eye. Some times the dry eye was severe but I had hopes of improvement. I did improve and love my new job and am so happy I went for it. I also work 9 hours a day on the computer but thanks to the wonderful advice from this board I manage it.
        You'll never know if you don't try....
        Good luck!

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with everything that Kitty said.

To add to her reply, two things you can do to make your work environment more comfortable is get a good pair of moisture chamber goggles like Onion Goggles or 7 Eye photochromic sunglasses (they are almost completely clear when worn inside). I own both, they work great to keep a moist environment around your eye and to keep air conditioning and heating out of your eyes. Also, check out the blinkers (somewhere here in the dry eye zone), they are a pop up window out of your internet browser that remind you to blink more often. Or you can try out a software program that reminds you to take breaks.

Comment

I have the same problem right now, but I don't have a choice. I will start as an intern in marketing in Sept- and I'm so afraid of the computer use. I fear that I won't be able to work at all. But...I don't believe that computers acutally harm our eyes, it is just that we don't blink enough, so I think all we have to do is to train ourselves to blink more when we use a computer and then it shouldn't be worse.
            Good luck!

Comment

Do go for it, it's hard to avoid computers and they're just part of the problem.

Some thoughts: It could end up more about the office space, if you can get good lighting, have a window you can stare out of from time to time, if they'd let you take a humidifyer? Personally, having a space you can put drops in without people staring at you (though I now just let them stare!!) control on the window blinds or lighting, no air-con, I think is a big bonus. I love it that my new office has no air-con, though I'm kind of roasting away when it's sunny!!!
              just keep swimming...

Comment

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for the collective kick in the ass. I just accepted the job this am and will start in July, Got my fingers crossed!

Comment

I think this is great! You will manage just fine!
                  Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Congratulations! Set your blinker, and you're off!

Comment

Even though the dry environment, the lights, the computers, the forced air at work make it a difficult place, I suffer less there than other placed because I am so busy and enjoy my job so very much. I have learned that being happily busy goes a long way in dealing with this condition.

Comment

Kim,

I am so glad that you decided to accept the job!! Good luck!!

Just out of curiousity, how much time will you be using the computer?

-Julie

Comment

Job

The job is half computer, half phone and pt contact. I was very careful not to pick something all computer. Thanks everyone for their well wishes.

Comment

Sounds like a positive move!

Good computer use habits are very important. Reading your post here is reminding me (once again) to make an effort to improve my own, poor computer routine. Specifically---I rarely look up and away. It's so bad for my vision and my eyes. I forget to blink enough. So my bad habits give me a big headache and poor binocularity---when I finally get up to do something else. My habits are Truly Bad!

Got to work on it!

Let us know how it goes for you, and good luck!

C

Comment

Working...
                            X