Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the technical term for dry spots on the eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the technical term for dry spots on the eye?

I keep reading about "Ocular Erosion" and "Cornea Erosions" (which sound very scary). Are these the technical terms for dry spots? My husband's doctor said she could see dry spots in both eyes closer to the nose.

Dry spots

Dry spots are different than corneal erosions. You can have scratches on the cornea without an erosion. However, not all people with dry eyes have dry spots on their corneas.
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Originally posted by amo124 View Post
      I keep reading about "Ocular Erosion" and "Cornea Erosions" (which sound very scary). Are these the technical terms for dry spots? My husband's doctor said she could see dry spots in both eyes closer to the nose.
      It's a good question. Dry spots are not the same as erosions. Dry spots can occur in anyone due to excessive evaporation/exposure or poor wetting. This is something you can reproduce just by holding your eyes open long enough, even if you have healthy tears.

A corneal erosion or abrasion is when cells of the epithelium (the outermost layer of the cornea) are literally torn off or break off. It's usually accompanied by pain, blurred vision and light sensitivity which can last for hours or days while the epithelium repairs itself.

p.s. Sorry - posted at the same time...
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Got it, thanks. So if a doctor says she doesn't seem anything physically wrong with the eyes other than dry spots, then he probably doesn't have corneal abrasions, right?

Comment

Correct!
          Dry spots indicate where the cornea is exposed to air (without tear film)
          Corneal erosions indicate cells are damaged.
          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Working...
          X