Question for Gas Permeable Dry Eye Sufferers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Gas Permeable Dry Eye Sufferers

My doctor tells me that Rigid Gas Permeables float on the eye so they will not affect dry eye in the same way the Soft "spongelike" contacts do. Most of the time I can wear my Gas Permeables with my dry eye with no difference in comfort as to whether they are in or out. In other words, the dry eye is uncomfortable either way and removing them provides no relief.

In the last few days my contacts feel gritty and as soon as I remove them I am comfortable. Is this a change in my dry eye symptoms or something else?

It might be a change. When I've had this problem, I've found it sometimes was related to how clean my lenses were.

What do you use to clean your RGPs? I've heard from several optometrists that one of the best cleaning solutions for RGPs is Optimum by Lobob. That's what I use, and it's helped a great deal at preventing protein build-up.

One other thing I sometimes do during the day is to remove the lenses, apply drops to my eyes without the lenses being in the way, clean the lenses, apply a drop to each lens, and reinsert. This gives me several more hours of comfortable RGP wear.

Randal

Originally posted by rubyslippers View Post
    My doctor tells me that Rigid Gas Permeables float on the eye so they will not affect dry eye in the same way the Soft "spongelike" contacts do. Most of the time I can wear my Gas Permeables with my dry eye with no difference in comfort as to whether they are in or out. In other words, the dry eye is uncomfortable either way and removing them provides no relief.

In the last few days my contacts feel gritty and as soon as I remove them I am comfortable. Is this a change in my dry eye symptoms or something else?

Comment

I do my protein removal overnight soak weekly. I used to use Lobob but am allergic to it. Removing my contacts brings relief very shortly but the second I reinsert them my eyes begin to hurt. I am calling my doctor today.

Comment

Hi,

I wonder if your lenses might be warped or maybe they need to be polished by your doctor. It could be there is a protein buildup you can't get rid of?

I hope this helps.
        Best wishes,
        dryeyes2

Comment

Working...
        X