Addicted to Dry eye talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicted to Dry eye talk

Am I the only one who thinks I am addicted to dry eye talk!!! Every day I log on to find the newest information or some link to this crazy disease!!!
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

No, you're not the only who "is", or "thinks they are" addicted to dry eye talk. Sometimes this is a signal that perhaps you're devoting too much time to the subject. Many of us have been through this phase and it's normally when we're really frustrated and dying to find a cure. Sometimes, we should make ourselves take some time off. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
      No, you're not the only who "is", or "thinks they are" addicted to dry eye talk. Sometimes this is a signal that perhaps you're devoting too much time to the subject. Many of us have been through this phase and it's normally when we're really frustrated and dying to find a cure. Sometimes, we should make ourselves take some time off. Lucy
      I admit to being addicted, and Lucy, you give sound advice, as usual!

--Liz

Comment

slightly different take on DEZ addiction

Count me in as a DEZ addict, but for me, the frequency of my checking in does not necessarily reflect an unhealthy level of dependency. I've found, with all my various health challenges, that the desire to tune in to what others are thinking and doing often peaks when I'm feeling just hopeful enough to resolve that there just HAS to be a way to get better. In this sometimes cold world, where so few seem to understand the nature and extent of ocular surface suffering, not tuning in here can result in isolation.

Isolation, in turn, can worsen depression, and simply make us forget that there is always new information out there, much of it worth considering. Another healthful reason to tune in is to help others out. Nothing heals like helping to heal others (:^), though I am told that moderation needs to be exercised, even in that.

When I was an active Bach Flower Essence practitioner, I knew enough to use the essences Walnut and Crab Apple as insulators during consultations, on the theory that delving into others' pain can be spiritually injurious. There is some truth to that, but this is not to say that such delving does not also sometimes carry immensely healing benefits.
        <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Over the past 8+ years I've seen (Rebecca too) people who were too focused on the bulletin board(s), both this one and others. They were almost at a level of fanatacism (is this a word?) I'm not referring to this thread, but it's a common occurrence.

At these times, those people do not have any idea that they're overdoing the "information" and are on overload. Their jobs and family can suffer. A gentle reminder from someone not involved may tilt them to a more healthy balance. No one ever found the cure to dry eyes, or the cure for bad lasik by staring at a computer for hours. I'm just as guilty as the next. I've gotten over the most rough patches long ago, though. I've found great help to me in giving some advice to others. I'm even doing this less and less.

Too much of anything is not healthy. Even DEZ...........Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I wouldn't be here if my eyes would let me forget that they hurt. I would be off doing something else. Actually, I only come her for a few minutes each day, but it would be out of sight--out of mind if I did not have the constant reminder.

Comment

not unimaginable (:^)

I might not be so resistant to the idea that one can become co-dependent (;^) with DEZ if, in fact, I had not discovered how to bring my condition into nearly full remission SOLELY through studying the materials and posts here at DEZ, over a very prolonged period of participation.

It took me months of logging in and throwing around my own truly half-baked ideas before I realized that Dwelle deserved a solid and sustained try, on my part. I even tried Dwelle briefly, dismissed it, and came back to it, all because I kept reading fascinating reports, here, of its effects. When Dwelle (and sister products) ultimately changed my condition drastically for the better, I had no one to thank but the folks here who periodically wrote in with their OTC drop experiences.

All by way of saying that hanging out here cannot really become a substitute for real life or personal interaction if one is already fairly disadvantaged, socially, by the disease itself. If one is already preoccupied with the distressing symptoms of DES, and surfing the net expansively and often for new developments, it strikes me that DEZ can well be the FAST track for finding solutions that may really work.
              <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

There are times and situations when overdoing the bulletin boards can be a serious downer or when it can lead to "cyberchondria" and other problems where people develop poor habits or make irrational healthcare decisions based exclusively on what they read online.

But I also think there are a lot of meaningful and easily defensible reasons to hang out here regularly. It's a community. People connect. We've got something important in common. There's a wealth of information here that is probably not available elsewhere or is very difficult to get at elsewhere. And everybody dealing with chronic pain cherishes the hope that it can get better than it feels right now.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

There has been more than one occasion where a person was suicidal and could not stay off the forums. I know because one called me out of the blue one day a few years ago while he was feeling this way. It wasn't necessarily due to just dry eyes--but a bad surgical outcome. This is my point about obsessive posting/reading. Not the typical dry eye reader here, but I was trying to make a point. It can be too much sometimes.
                  Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Rojzen, that is so beautifully put.

I very much appreciate this community that Rebecca started, and the main reason that I post so much is because I hope that I can help others the way that everyone here has helped me and still helps me. No fear or detail is too stupid to bring up, and I have asked some dumb things, and people here have treated me kindly. In the throes of eye pain and vision distortion, it can be hard to keep a perspective, but the encouragement, tips, and effort of the people here made me stick with my program, track my progress, and try new things in a reasonable way, including things that I brought to my doctors.

Not only that, but I am able to direct my friends and family to products and information that really helps them, too, and they are beyond this board. For instance, my mom had surgery about 10 days ago for drooping eye lids, and she had to use warm compresses, so I told her about the knee highs and rice idea from this site, which worked well, and bought some time while I sent her my rice baggie. She also talked about how Genteal Gel during the day made her vision blurry and gave her some anxiety, and I was able to say that it happens to me too. I give samples to friends and to family, and they are so impressed with Dr. Holly's drops, which help with dry eye from so many different causes. That kind of sharing is what I value so much about this place. People are so willing to help. I'm so grateful.

And, Lucy, I understand your point, but what if that person who called you had no one to call? It's no doubt that his trying to reach out was a good sign.

--Liz

Originally posted by Rojzen View Post
                    I might not be so resistant to the idea that one can become co-dependent (;^) with DEZ if, in fact, I had not discovered how to bring my condition into nearly full remission SOLELY through studying the materials and posts here at DEZ, over a very prolonged period of participation.

It took me months of logging in and throwing around my own truly half-baked ideas before I realized that Dwelle deserved a solid and sustained try, on my part. I even tried Dwelle briefly, dismissed it, and came back to it, all because I kept reading fascinating reports, here, of its effects. When Dwelle (and sister products) ultimately changed my condition drastically for the better, I had no one to thank but the folks here who periodically wrote in with their OTC drop experiences.

All by way of saying that hanging out here cannot really become a substitute for real life or personal interaction if one is already fairly disadvantaged, socially, by the disease itself. If one is already preoccupied with the distressing symptoms of DES, and surfing the net expansively and often for new developments, it strikes me that DEZ can well be the FAST track for finding solutions that may really work.

Comment

I admit I'm obessive about this board -- I often keep the window open on my desktop at work. I know for me it's a bad thing -- it's like i get this anxiety and I just don't know what to do. It's hard to concentrate on anything when I get in a mode where I just feel hopelessly sad.

This board is full of kind and encouraging people. Beyond my dryness, I have some other lasik issues -- but here is where I feel most welcome and supported.

I keep thinking I should ask our IT guy to block this site at my work computer!! Still waiting on my mental health appt (gotta love HMOs).....but I'm hoping to learn some coping tools to move on with my life. I honestly don't recognize this person that I've become.

So I'll try to stay off the boards!!!! But wanted to say thanks for being there -- it means so much.

Comment

You all may be missing my point. It was to make a point. Newbies are not savvy to things like this and it may never occur to them. After I made the post, everyone else posted making it seem like a bigger deal and that I was suggesting we shouldn't be here. Not the case. Who posts more than I? I'll bet I get as many private messages as anyone else. Why do you think I'm still here? (Notice I'm not using anyone's name on this post, because it isn't specific.) My point is still a good one for those who may be consumed by this problem and not taking care of the rest of their lives. Lucy

P.S. I'm not saying anything more on this subject.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Lucy's point is a valid one and there are many of us here who have, over the years, been with or observed people in some pretty rough crises where reading the board in a particular frame of mind was clearly feeding fears and anxieties to an very unhealthy or even dangerous point.

However, I'm really enjoying reading all the different perspectives about what the board means to people.

it's like i get this anxiety and I just don't know what to do. It's hard to concentrate on anything when I get in a mode where I just feel hopelessly sad.
                          I can relate to this and I suspect a lot of others can too. I think back to the SurgicalEyes years when between bad vision and pain on a rough day - well, I never thought about it as anxiety but whatever it was, it became a reflex to get on the board when I hit a certain point. I'm not sure even how to describe it but it would just help take the edge off the tension.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Lucy makes a good point. When you feel chronic pain that affects your daily life and no on around you understands and brushes it off, it is easy to get addicted to this board. But constantly being on this board just makes it impossible to forget about dry eyes and focus on other things in life. And when you're constantly thinking about your eyes, there is no way you're going to find any relief.

I have to say though, I am addicted to DEZ, maybe even dependent, but in a good way, I think. I'm in my early twenties, and my dry eyes have completely taken over my life. I find it extremely difficult to do most things. My friends do not understand why I can no longer hang out w/ them like I use to, my coworkers don't understand when I cannot go out for drinks w/ them after work, my boss thinks i'm slacking off. It took my boyfriend over 6 months to finally realize that my eyes are affecting my life. I am constantly anxious, not just about the present, but about the future. I wonder at this rate, how am I supposed to work a normal job, let alone pursue a career. At the point when I have no one to connect with and understand what I am going through, this board has been my life-savior. I'm not kidding. The people, the empathy, the tips, the camaderie, is what's keeping me from falling into deep depression. Seriously, if anyone is feeling particularly down and needs someone to listen, feel free to PM me.

I know that when I get better (not if, but when), I will continue to post on this board and let people know what is making my eyes feel better, like Lucy and Rojzen =))

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
                              Lucy makes a good point. When you feel chronic pain that affects your daily life and no on around you understands and brushes it off, it is easy to get addicted to this board. But constantly being on this board just makes it impossible to forget about dry eyes and focus on other things in life. And when you're constantly thinking about your eyes, there is no way you're going to find any relief.
                              I agree! And I find myself loading up the blinker and thinking, "I need to step away from the computer," because I also started reading Ophthalmology Review on line.

I think that the DEZ is a much healthier place than others. When I was having RCE's and not yet diagnosed, I was reading and thought that I had abmd. I went to healthboards.com, and I found a real abyss there. It seems like it is healthier now, but it was just post after post of people in the freaked-out stage and no follow-ups. Once there were some follow-ups, people talking about how PTK helped them, and other things they tried, it seemed to even out and be more of a resource. However, my first introduction was horrifying. This particular disorder is not even well known by ophthalmologists, who tend to like to treat it with surgery or the wrong OTC eye drops.

The DEZ is so comprehensive, and it gives the time and space to ask questions and get some help as they puzzle out treatment options and even understand the condition. So, even if someone comes here all freaked out, it is a better place to be than others.

And, Lucy, when I am asking long-term questions of someone who has tried it all, you are the first one I PM. :-)

--Liz

Comment

Working...
                              X