Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Get to be the 1st to have a New DES treatment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Get to be the 1st to have a New DES treatment!

I get to be the first in my area to have special new contacts. They are a RGP encircled with a soft contact edge. They are made especially for Dry Eye sufferers! My doctor just came back from a conference and he and I are willing to try these--probably multiple pairs until he learns how to fit them since he hasn't done it except in classes. He said there was a version out a few years ago that failed because the bond between the soft and hard material would not hold, but now they have worked the bugs out. These may help many people who need complicated correction like I do, including bifocals, be able to wear their gas contacts with comfort. Basically, the "doughnut" holds the contact slight off the eye and the cornea does much better. Will be a couple of weeks before they come. I will let you know.

Also, I got permanent lower plugs put in today and I am in heaven. My eyes already feel much, much better. Will do the upper in July when my collagen one dissolves. I am feeling much, much more hopeful. I also ordered some Dwelle drops from this site and once again I feel like there might be a future for my poor old eyes.

are these new lenses intended to be therapeutic?

This is truly exciting! Are these interesting new lenses intended actually to be therapeutic for dry eye, as is true of the scleral rigid lenses that hold fluid to the cornea surface? or are these simply contacts that someone with non-disabling dry eye can wear comfortably? Possibly the answer to this lies in the shape and extent of convex-ness on the rigid portion of the lens. . .

In any case, what a lovely new development. . .Our cause is clearly being heard out there. . .
    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Rubyslippers, you sound thrilled! I'm thrilled for you and I hope the new lens helps your relief from dry eyes! Good luck. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

That's great news! Rubyslippers, are these new contacts called Synergeyes? I saw a pamphlet for it at my optometrist's office, but it didn't mention anything about dry eyes.

Comment

Very happy for you!! Definitely let us know how these work out. I am anxious to get back to wearing my contacts – even if it is only a few hours and a few days out of the week!! Yayyyyyy for solutions!!

Comment

Sounds like Synergeyes. (Predecessor was SoftPerms.)

But if so this is the first I've heard of them being touted for use on dry eyes and although I hate to be discouraging I'm inclined to a teensy bit skeptical. They're intended for people like you and me i.e. who can't be corrected with glasses, only with a rigid lens. DrG's recent newsletter raised concerns about the very low DK material in the skirt and potential for resulting neovascularization. That would certain explain my sister's recent failed attempt with Synergeyes which made her eyes in, well, not good shape. Anyway, fingers crossed that you can do well with those and meantime I'm excited to hear about the relief you're getting with plugs!!!
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

No, that wasn't the name, but I cannot remember what it was. He said they are very new, and just out in the last few weeks. He said they have addressed the problems with the others and these are showing great results for people who cannot wear RPGs or Soft Lenses and get both comfort and vision at the same time. He said they are showing best results for dry eye people. My tears are of very poor quality and not thick enough for my contacts to really float. He feels this could possibly solve the problem. He says, if not, he has many more things up his sleeves. He is a young doctor, only 4 years out of school, but he absolutely gets me in at a moments notice and says he can make my eyes better over time. He has me using flaxseed and the heat and lid massage (Latkany style) and both are helping some. He said we have a lot of new things coming up for me to try. He said he thinks I have an 80% chance of these doing the trick once we get the right fit.

Comment

Also, I remember him saying they have a very high DK skirt (whatever that means).

Comment

does that mean that the contact lens edge would be on the white part of the eye or inside like a normal small rgp lens?

Comment

He said the RGP will be the same size and the only purpose of the soft edge is to hold it very slightly off the eye allowing moisture under and no rubbing contact by the RGP. I think that is what he said anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X