Patanol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patanol

Has anyone used patanol? I have tried so many drops steriod and antibitoic drops for my bleph/dry eye. I had plugs which were not for me and tried restasis. Then I went to the allergist and he gave me patanol to try. I don't even know if it is an allergy since nothing is making a difference. I thought it was the climate I was in because I had moved but I am actually worse that I moved back to the place I lived all my life. Also how long is patanol safe to use? I forgot to ask and am going to call on Mon. It says 2 times daily. Just fearful doing more harm then good like the others.Thanks

I have used Patanol off and on for a couple of years now. I know it is allergies because of the severe itching. Patanol has a preservative in it that is not good for the eyes, especially people with DES. It is a trade off, risk vs. benefit. I only use the Patanol when I need it.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks. I am going to try it. I am so sensitive that I have a hard time with drops but I am loosing my mind from eye pain. I need to call because the instructions says 1 to 2 drops daily but does not say for how long or is this as needed and the doc didn't tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by GinaJ View Post
        Thanks. I am going to try it. I am so sensitive that I have a hard time with drops but I am loosing my mind from eye pain. I need to call because the instructions says 1 to 2 drops daily but does not say for how long or is this as needed and the doc didn't tell me.
        It is usually ordered "as needed". When my eyes are really acting up, I use it twice a day. Sometimes once a day does it. If you itch, use it. If you don't itch, I would question seriously if you have eye allergies.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks. I went to the allergist but was only allergic to dust mites and he thought it may be my dermititis causing the eys. I had a very severe case of bleph which in turn developed into severe dry eye. I just feel my docs are just guessing at me and then send me to someone else.

Comment

I suggest you visit your eye doctor and find out if there is evidence of allergy. I personally would not use the Patanol with the associated risks from the preservative if I did not have horrendous itching from the eye allergies.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty View Post
              I suggest you visit your eye doctor and find out if there is evidence of allergy. I personally would not use the Patanol with the associated risks from the preservative if I did not have horrendous itching from the eye allergies.
              I get dry eye onlyin the hot humid summer.Last year I didn't get it.I assume it is because the summer was a cooler dry one.I was given a 3 mm bottle of Patanol but it didn't work.I only get sinus congestion but my eyes aren't itchy.Could I have an allergy without all the other symptoms?

Comment

I'm not a doctor, all I can do is share my personal experience. Before DES, I would get seasonal allergies with lots of nasal symptoms and only very mild eye itching/irritation. With DES and plugs, I just don't have the tear volume and/or any other method to flush away the allergens. This I suspect is the reason for my increased eye allergy symptoms since the onset of DES.

Comment

For your sinus issues I have some similar and was give nose spray I think flonaise. Have not started it yet but maybe something like that? Or I could be clueless.

Comment

Patanol sample

Originally posted by GinaJ View Post
                    Hi Gina,my doc gave me a Patanol sample.It was only a 3mm bottle.I didn't use as regular as I should.I would go 2 drops in the am but not pm.It only lasted for about 3 days.Would I have seen a change in such a short time if it was eye allergies?Your answer would be most helpful.Thankx.

Comment

What kind of doc gave you this? I ask because I was given this by an allergist but I don't have any allergies when tested other then to dust mites. I am super sensitive and now am on other meds so don't use it. I would call the office and ask.

Comment

Working...
                      X