Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air optix for astigmatism

Dear Dr. Bazan,

Just curious to know if you've got any thoughts about this lens - does it have anything unique to offer?

I came across a fullpage ad for it in the May Optometric Management. My sister has had increasing trouble trying to get lenses that correct her to 20/20 and are comfortable. She's about -9 with a diopter or so of cyl, doesn't see too well with glasses, wore soft lenses all her adult life, and has always been a difficult fit. Lately she's gone through a number of lens types including synergeyes and a couple of large gas perms with not too much luck.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

It looks like the "astigmatism air optix" only go up to -6.00 D power. The "air optix custom" is available in quarter diopter powers and a wide choice of base curves---something that several members here have been wanting. And I think the plasma coating is a new thing for silicon hydrogels---maybe? I could never wear sil-hy lenses because of they don't wet very well, so hopefully this coating will help lots of people.

I always had trouble with the usual .5 D power increments over -6.00 that most companies offer---because I need only .25 D. I wish they had come out with these a couple of years ago!

C

Comment

Hi Rebecca, thanks for asking. I feel that the new design on the Air Optix toric is worth trying. I will not have hands on experience with this cl until I open up my new office next month. C is right, the initial release will not reach -9. It may take 3-6 months for this to occur. Another product making an emergence this month is Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism. That is another option to try. Lastly, has your sister looked into a wave cl? www.wavecontactlenses.com

She may also see significant improvement in spectacle vision by optimizing lens material, frame shape and fitting measurements. A good place to start is with a zeiss 1.74 with alize. Many fitters also falter by not taking wearing optical centers with Rx's similar to your sisters. It does make a difference if its not done, or done incorrectly.

Let us know how she does.

Comment

Could you explain " wearing optical centers?" Is that the same thing as the pupillary distance measurement?

One of the bigger difficulties with high minus and high cylinder Rx's in glasses is that small "sweet spot"----it keeps your eyes locked into a smaller area where the vision is optimal. You don't feel free to relax and move your gaze freely.

Thanks,

Calli

Comment

Sure Calli. PD is how far apart you eyes are, a horizontal measurement. What I was referring to, the wearing optical center, is a vertical measurement. It can be used to align where your pupil is with what you referred to as the sweet spot on the lens. Both PD and OC are crucial to maximize comfort and clarity, especially in high rxs.

Comment

Working...
          X