Dr. Bazan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Bazan

I have developed symptoms that could indicate a possible problem with my liver.

I have been on Tetracycline, Doxycycline and for the past 10 months, Minocycline. I am concerned that there might be a correlation to the long term antibiotic use and these symptoms as there are no other changes to my diet/lifestyle that would explain this. I was wondering if you have ever heard of a relationship between the two.

I have contacted my MD and will have the requisite blood work done but was wondering if you have ever heard of a cause and effect relationship here.

Thanks so much.

Natalie

Thanks so much

I have not encountered those complications. I deferred this question to my girlfriend who holds a Pharm D. Her response:

"I would ask what specific symptoms this patient is experiencing due to liver, such as jaundice, ascites, hypertension, etc.

But tetracycline is well known to cause adverse effects in liver (see below). Doxycyline and minocycline can cause cholestatis; hepatitis, raise in liver enzymes, hepatic failure respectively; however, my bet is on the tetracycline and the event is probably potentiated with all 3 combined.

B) Hepatotoxicity

1) Tetracyclines are well known to produce hepatotoxicity including jaundice and fatty infiltrations (Prod Info Achromycin(R), 2000a)(Lloyd-Still et al, 1974; Wruble et al, 1965).

2) Most patients have had renal disease presumably contributing to high blood levels of the drug. Clinical manifestations usually appear 4 to 10 days after administration of tetracycline and initial symptoms include nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Jaundice usually occurs later and is rarely intense. The hepatic lesion results from the inhibition of transported lipids from the liver and is dependent on the dose and route of administration (Peters et al, 1967; Schultz et al, 1963). "

Comment

symptoms

[QUOTE=:"I would ask what specific symptoms this patient is experiencing due to liver, such as jaundice, ascites, hypertension, etc.[/QUOTE]

Itching, clay colored stools, dark urine and a rash on my legs. I have also been very "swollen" around the midsection but assumed it was just middle age spread, which it may well be.

As I am having orthopedic surgery in a month, I am not risking the possibility of toxicity that might prevent that so no more antibiotics for me. I assume that I will have routine bloodwork prior to surgery so anything out of the ordinary would show up then.

Comment

Natalie, I hope you don't mind my interjecting here. Please go to your doctor and get some bloods drawn and see if your liver enzymes are very elevated. And have the doctor decide how to handle that. Don't wait until right before your surgery. And may I suggest you buy some Milk Thistle (herbal) supplements at the health food store and start taking them either way. Milk Thistle is very good for helping your liver.

Comment

Thanks NYer

I just don't want this blown out of proportion for nothing and I really don't want this surgery postponed for any reason. My right arm is becoming disabled and that's my #1 priority. Besides, I haven't turned yellow yet! And with the constant attention that my eyes need, I am sure I'd notice.

Comment

Natalie, you don't have to turn yellow for something to be wrong with your liver. Nine years ago, I happened to go for a blood test and my liver enzymes turned out to be very elevated. It turned out that my liver was enlarged. I had NO idea about this till I had the blood test done for unrelated reasons.
            In my case, that turned out to be because I'd developed Type-2 Diabetes and didn't know it. The enlarged liver was a layer of fat around the liver. When I lost a lot of weight, I also lost the fat around the liver, but I also changed my diet.
            I had no yellowing.
            Getting a blood test is not making a big deal - and it would be better for you to be able to know and fix any problem (if there is one) well before your surgery than the night before and ending up having them cancel it.

Comment

Working...
            X