I finally know what causes my eye pain! Chemosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally know what causes my eye pain! Chemosis

I finally have a name for what I have experienced for nearly a decade since my LASIK surgery.

chemosis

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003038.htm
    In general, chemosis is a nonspecific sign of eye irritation. The outer surface covering appears to have fluid in it. Often, the eye area swells so much that you can't close your eyes properly.

Chemosis is often related to an allergic response or infection.

Causes
    * Angioedema
    * Allergic response
    * Viral infection (conjunctivitis)

Home Care

Over-the-counter antihistamines and cool clothes placed on the eyes may help relieve symptoms due to angioedema or allergies.

If symptoms continue, see your doctor.

When to Contact a Medical Professional Return to top

Call your doctor if your symptoms do not go away. Also call if you have other symptoms such as eye pain, change in vision, difficulty breathing, or fainting.
    I have been to countless doctors, not one who has suggested that my eye pain, severe headache (several times ending up in a nasty migraine) and vision changes are a result of chemosis. The allergic conjunctivitis that has plagued me constantly since my LASIK can cause conjunctival edema, which in turn can cause pain (eye and head and trigeminal).

The edema can also be severe enough to cause vision changes, which have plagued me also since my LASIK. I constantly have glasses prescription changes (some in the same month) due to the edema. I now regularly carry at least one extra pair of glasses in a weaker (or stronger) prescription in case of vision change.

Also, if I am wearing glasses that are too strong for the vision change of the moment—I get another headache from wearing glasses that are too strong. And I can also experience dizziness and headaches from a binocular fusion problem if the glasses are not my correct prescription at the time, as well.

I am really quite shocked. I have suspected this edema from allergic conjunctivitis for many years. I have hunted around the journals and the medical sites to find a link but I couldn’t find the exact explanation. I finally found out just this week that the word I was looking for was chemosis. Now I know.

If anyone else has this, please let me know what your doc suggests or just what you have found that works for you.

This article suggests cool compresses. I have been using warm ones because they are so soothing. I will switch to cool ones next.

I am somewhat concerned about the edema, since my father was recently diagnosed with Fuch’s Dystrophy, which is an inherited disorder that involves edema of the cornea. Yikes.

Thanks for listening.

Scout

Scout,

Isn't Muro indicated for edema? I'm just guessing.

D
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Just arrived home from the U of M Eye Clinic and have my autologous serum drops. I just read this post with interest because no one can give me a cause of my almost 9 year dry-eye pain post-lasik (bad vision too). This doc today just told me "dry eyes and he can offer no other help". I already have the Boston Sclerals, but can't wear the one I need the most. My local ophtho tells me to use Muro ointment.........for what else, edema? Scout, just everything you said could be me. But, I must go faint from a 200 mile round trip that lasted 12 hours. Lucy
      P.S. Scout, who diagnosed you, or was it self-diagnosis as I usually have? And have eye docs ever heard of this?
      Last edited by Lucy; 11-Jun-2008, 21:33. Reason: P,S, clarification
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

dianat,

Interesting idea. I will have to research whether it would help. Thanks for the thought.

Lucy,

No, no doctor diagnosed me. I diagnosed myself after 9 years and too many doctors who couldn't understand why my eye prescription changed periodically, accompanied by eye pain and headaches. None of them had any ideas. This explanation seemed to fit my symptoms and make the most sense.

It goes without saying that "I am not a doctor." So I guess, I could be wrong.

Scout

Comment

Working...
        X