Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can a DES sufferer use to get through a cold or flu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can a DES sufferer use to get through a cold or flu?

Do any of you know of over-the-counter cold or flu medicines that do not dry out the eye? Or one that seems to do the least?

The pharmacist at my local drug store doesn’t seem to know of anything… I have just gone through a cold/flu that had the awful symptom of the extreme running nose that requires constant use of tissues. I try to just deal with all the annoying symptoms when being sick, hoping they will pass quickly. But after 3 days with the runny nose, the skin is soo raw and the sneezing out of control, I just couldn’t can’t stand it anymore.

I finally broke down and used Alka Seltzer Cold Plus, which does have an antihistamine. It was amazing how quickly I felt much better. Then I wondered if could have been better days earlier if I’d used it then.

I am very hesitant to use any medicine that has a known dry eye effect, because my severe DES was caused by medicines. Of course they were very strong high doses of prescription medicines, used over a period of time, but the dry eye effect from them was cumulative and permanent. (Even though some drug companies claim the dryness would stop when the medicine was stopped.)

What can a DES sufferer use to get through a cold or flu, without further drying out the eyes?

Thanks for any help with this,
    Rose

I use

Benedryl for children. Liquid form. I take only a tiny amount of it. You have to experiment to see how much it takes for you to get relief for your symptoms. Start out with a tiny amount, (I'm talking only a fourth of a teaspoon) if it's not enough, try a slightly larger amount. Remember you only need it for a few days.

Billye

Comment

Neti Pot-a natural effective solution

I suggest you purchase a neti pot and flush those sinuses out! Neti pots can be found at health food stores and they come with very detailed instructions on how to use them so you don't feel like you are drowing. Here are the instructions that I found on a web site (also if you search in www.youtube.com you will find some video instruction and demonstration):

How to Use A Neti Pot
      Step 1: Make a Saline Solution
      The temperature of the water used for the nasal wash should be body temperature or very slightly warmer. Avoid very hot or very cold water. The correct amount of Aromatic Salt neti pot salt is: 1/2 rounded teaspoon of Aromatic Salt to 8 ounces of warm water. The cap of the Aromatic Salt bottle can be used to measure the salt. Fill the cap until the salt just covers the threads ˆ¢¬Ä’Äú just over half a capful. The instructions for the amount of salt are guidelines. Adjust to find the amount that is perfect for you. Some variable factors are: the mineral content of your water, the size of your neti pot, and your personal preference. Aromatic Salt neti pots salt dissolves in water much more quickly than table salt. A quick stir before beginning the nasal wash should be sufficient to produce a solution evenly salinated with Aromatic Salt.

Step 2: Rinse
      With your neti pot filled with Aromatic Salt solution and standing over a basin or sink, tilt your head gently so that one nostril moves downward toward the basin and the other nostril moves up toward the ceiling. Insert the spout of the neti pot into the upper nostril. Gently pour the saline solution into the upper nostril and let it flow out through the lower nostril. When the pot is empty, blow out through both nostrils into the sink or into a tissue or handkerchief. Be sure not to close either nostril as you blow out. Repeat on the other side. When you have finished rinsing both sides, you may want to bend all the way forward and turn your head from side to side to release any Aromatic Salt solution that may remain in the nasal passages.

You could also purchase a product called Ocean in the nasal spray area of your drug store. Its a saline solution that you can flush your nose out with

Comment

take a glass of warm water(not too hot). put 1 tsp honey, and squeeze 1 lemon or lime, mix and drink it. this will boost your immune system, and help you get over a cold quickly.

rhad

Comment

I swear by the Neti pot. I get sick less too as it washes away the germs that take 24 hours to make you sick. Be sure to use only boiled water or bottled water. I use bottled water and refrigerate the leftover and use it the next day. Add a pinch of baking soda to your saline solution. It fights infection. For even an easier way, just buy NeilMed premixed packets to add to the water. The less trouble I have to go to, the more I will use it. My U of WA doctor says it is an excellent practice.

If you start to get little nosebleeds you know you are doing it too often and drying yourself out too much.

Also, never do it within an hour of bedtime. Some of the fluid can pool and cause a sinus infection.

Comment

Working...
          X