pumping on in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumping on in.

So, while discussing the new insulin pump I'm receiving (the omnipod), a friend and I came to discuss insulin pumps in odd places.

What if a pump, much like an insulin pump, could constantly fuel or by-demand bolus artificial tears onto the eye? We decided, after much debate (this is what happens to bored people, folks) that the best site would be using some sort of long term access like an extremely miniaturized g-tube in the lower eyelid- first, because any required taping wouldn't be a weigh down, like the upper lid, and second, because it would be easy to route behind the ears and down to the pump itself.

We determined that the upside of this, would of course, be being able to 'copy' normal quality tear production by running a constant low rate instead of blobbing on doses, say, hourly. Since the site would be permanent, the only frequent hassle we could assume is the need to replace the tears every few days, and managing the flow rates daily or more often.

The downside, aside from the risks of infection and all that non-fun stuff, is having tubes coming out of your eyelids. : Given the fact that insulin pumps (and presumably, a similar one that might end up used for this purpose) cost in the market of 6000$ (and you'd need two), plus the cost of disposable kits, and of course the tears, this would be a very expensive method, along with being an ugly one.

Folks, this really is what bored people do- so, I ask:

If, in another world, this was a real option, would you choose it?

Tube

They are actually working on a tube to pump fluid from the back of the eye to the front of the eye. Still in primitive stages but I asked them to consider me down the road. So yes for your question. It may be ugly but if it helps I am willing to get it done.
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Working...
    X