Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NorCal Fires: Smoke gets in our eyes . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorCal Fires: Smoke gets in our eyes . . .

and our sinuses and our throats and our lungs . . .

In case you haven't heard, we are having an environmental crisis here in Northern California. This is already a record dry year and then last weekend we had over 8,000 dry lightning strikes that started over 800 fires, most of them still burning.

We have air that is filled with yellow, thick, nasty, painful smoke for the fourth straight day and there is no relief in sight.

I don't have to tell you all how painful this is for dry eye sufferers. It is even worse for people with heart and lung problems.

It's really bad here . . .

Send us some good thoughts, 'kay?

Scout

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080625/...OfO7wc4u9I2ocA
    http://www.modbee.com/local/story/339452.html

Good call Scout. No wonder why the insides of my eyelids have been KILLING me today...enough to go to the doc to see what's going on. Must be the Norcal Fires...gahhh

Comment

help!

Here is an update for today. (July 7th) We are really having a very, very bad time here in Northern California.

http://www.sacbee.com/749/story/1064999.html

“The north state's latest heat wave today prompted Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to activate the state's plan for excessive heat emergencies.

That move comes the same day that the first Spare the Air advisory was released by the Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District in response to plummeting air quality caused by wildfires burning in Northern California.

[snip]

Given the area's unhealthy air, people are advised to limit outdoor activities and prolonged exposure to the smoke, especially people with respiratory conditions, older adults and young children, a special weather statement on the Weather Service Web site states.

Studies have found that short-term exposure to particulate matter can aggravate lung disease, causing asthma attacks and acute bronchitis, increase a person's susceptibility to respiratory infections and cause heart attacks and arrhythmia in people with heart disease, the air district's Web site states.

Healthy people also may experience irritated eyes, nose and throat, coughing, chest tightness and shortness of breath.

Long-term effects include decreased lung function, aggravated asthma, irregular heartbeat and chronic respiratory disease in children, the Web site states.”
      Last edited by Scout; 07-Jul-2008, 14:07. Reason: added bold

Comment

Sounds nasty Scout-my thoughts are with you. To make your home environment more eye friendly (and lung, etc.) have you tried any of the many air filtration/purification products available? Some folks have excellent results with them for allergies.

Comment

Working...
        X