Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tear test question

Hello again,
    Curriuos what shimmer tests are like for someone with dry eye. Had it done today. 2 in L eye, 3 in R eye. Is this typical? Should I be happy to have that or is that really bad? All I know is my eyes are bone dry and hurt! This really stinks! I am trying to stay calm, but having a difficult time. Any advice or encouragment welcome. I could use some support.
    Thank you and good luck out there.
    ~MLT

Originally posted by MLT View Post
    Hello again,
    Curriuos what shimmer tests are like for someone with dry eye. Had it done today. 2 in L eye, 3 in R eye. Is this typical? Should I be happy to have that or is that really bad? All I know is my eyes are bone dry and hurt! This really stinks! I am trying to stay calm, but having a difficult time. Any advice or encouragment welcome. I could use some support.
    Thank you and good luck out there.
    ~MLT

I had my eyes tested that way too - i was about 5. 10 is the normal i think.

Comment

Schirmer Tests

Normal is >10. However, schirmer tests are hugely unreliable so many MD's don't use them. A better basis is how you feel. Mine varied from low to high back down to low but felt the same throughout. Best of luck!
      If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Yes; Schirmers too crude

Yes, Schirmers may be rendered pretty meaningless through a variety of factors, such as whether too much flourescein has been dropped into the eye prior to testing (a patented portion-control-type fluorescein dropper device came to market some years ago, when some thoughtful researchers saw the havoc played by the very large dose of flourescein that comes out of a standard dropper). . .

Last time I checked, some forward-thinking practices were not using Schirmer's tests at all, favoring, instead, a fluouescein clearance test, performed over a 1/2 hour period, which calculates lacrimal secretion volume by measuring how much fluid ultimately leaves the eye surface. . .I am not sure how this test factors wetting defects into the calculation. . .and I assume the test cannot be used for double-plugged eyes. . .but still, I'm told it is a more accurate measure of tear secretion than is a plain Schirmer's. . .

MORE IMPORTANTLY, as Dr. Holly recently noted, here, the condition of the ocular surface (often correlating closely with symptom severity), rather than volume of aqueous tear or meibum secreted, may well be far more important a clinical measurement than anything else. . .exactly as kcoffiner points out. . .
        <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Schirmer's may not be the best, or accurate according to some, but it's maybe better than nothing. If you're one number this year under certain circumstances and then something way different next year under the same circumstances, you may have reason for comparison. My doctor never tested me before lasik because "Schirmer's" isn't reliable. Well, if you don't take it, you'll never know.

I just had Schirmer's done under anesthesia less than two weeks ago and both eyes were zero. If I later score higher, I assume something will have changed. It is SOME measure of moisture. I didn't think my doctor could call the double zero anything but dry. Kind of hard to wiggle that one around.

Your score does not always reflect how your eyes are feeling at that particular time, though.

Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

My doctor does not believe in them. He treats based on what the patient says are the symptoms only. He sure has taken me from horrible to almost all good days now, back to seeing clearly, AND being able to wear contacts 14 hours a day again. Yes, I still have dry eye, but I am no longer in pain and even rarely have what I call discomfort. He listened to me and he responded. I love that guy! He had many options for me at each appt. We discussed and decided together. He went at my speed and never pressured me in any way. He did promise he would have the pain gone in 4-6 months and I would be seeing well again. He kept his promise.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyslippers View Post
              My doctor does not believe in them. He treats based on what the patient says are the symptoms only. He sure has taken me from horrible to almost all good days now, back to seeing clearly, AND being able to wear contacts 14 hours a day again. Yes, I still have dry eye, but I am no longer in pain and even rarely have what I call discomfort. He listened to me and he responded. I love that guy! He had many options for me at each appt. We discussed and decided together. He went at my speed and never pressured me in any way. He did promise he would have the pain gone in 4-6 months and I would be seeing well again. He kept his promise.
              Your SO lucky to have such a good Doctor.

Comment

Working...
              X