Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long dry weekend coming up

Hi everyone,
    Well, I seem to have my ups and downs in terms of comfort and emotions. I had a teary-eyed evening (not in a good way) just sad, ugly, you name it. And this weekend I'm traveling with my family to a reunion in hot, dry NE Washington state.

I'm sure lots of you have plans for the long weekend -- but any bits of advise or words or encouragement would be welcome!

I feel especially nervous b/c I'll be without my boyfriend -- whom I feel really needy for since this whole lasik disaster. He's been the one closest to the whole situation. Do others out there feel suddenly less independent and less confident with painful dry eyes?

My lower silicone plugs don't seem to be working any wonders either, which has been dissappointing. I guess I'll try some uppers too.

Sorry for the ramble...............my dry eye buddy is gone for the holiday

I was very needy for my husband, especially in the first year. Now I feel I can handle things better. This is almost as much of an emotional process (especially for lasik patients) as a physical one I think. Coming to terms with all the emotional stuff helps us deal but it's a process, and sometimes a long one. Be kind to you and give yourself time to heal outside and in.
    I would also say drink tons of water and stay away from sodas and alcohol as much as you can. Remember to stick to your eye routines as well. You will probably be distracted from your eyes with all the activities so you may be surprised how well you do! Even if you have a hard time try not to let it be the end of the world. You will be back in your own environment in no time. Try to enjoy your holiday!!
    Also give the upper plugs a try.

Comment

Hi Iboogie

Your PM to me the other day gave me lots of encouragement and I hope to do the same.

When I first got DE I assumed I would never be able to travel again. But I did, first to Dallas and then to Hawaii. I made it there and back both ways intact. I won't say it was the easiest thing in the world to do but I made it and had fun. Even drinking during the trips. SO life does move on.

I am sure you will have a wonderful family vacation! Best wishes and please report back on the festivities.

Kim
      If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

I went to Las Vegas in November 2007 and Wendover, Nevada just this past weekend. I was pleased both times about no additional problems. It's HOT and DRY there. Erik said something about being in Iraq about the hot weather keeping his meibs open and flowing. Wonder if the same applies to the hot desert in Nevada.

I've been to Vegas many times since my lasik, but this last time was the best eye-wise for me. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I know what its like to rely on a boyfriend post Lasik.

As my social life has gone he is still maintaining part of his, and it is hard when he is not around, especially at nights when the fear used to set in.

How I delat with it was to get loads of food in, get a load of dvd's, and treat myself to a girly night. Have a nice bubble bath, catch up on those grooming things that I had got lazy about because of my dry eye, nails, facepack etc...the sort of things I like to do without my boyfriend around.

So when he gets back I feel I have manged to have a little "me" time, instead of feeling deserted.

I don't know if this has helped at all. I do know when I was going through my really bad post Lasik phase that I tried not to be too "needy" as I knew he still had a social life, even if I didn't. It was tough. I am believe I am over the worst of it, I hope, and am about to start my social life again. I do have to admit that this experience was a bit of an eye opener in terms of who my friends really were, so I am fairly much starting from scratch on that one.

In terms of the plugs. My second one (top) made a huge difference. 60% of tears drain from teh bottom and 40% from the top. I also found Genteal Gel (not ointment) made a HUGE difference. by gettting through the nights I was able to get through the days. I only had Lasik in one eye so I wore a patch, that I could not have survived without. Maybe those wraparound sunglasses would work for you if both eyes are done. They really do keep the moisture in.

I hope you are doing ok, and remember even if he is not around there are plenty of people here for support.

B.

Comment

Hi everyone,
            Thanks for the kind words. I'm back home, and it was a fun trip. Although I was not my usual engergetic self. I kept my sunglasses on 24-7 in the all the blowing wind. But it was really beautiful, and I'm glad I was there.

Eyes are come and go still -- gonna try those uppers in a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X