looking for advices for PantOpx lenses-Dr. Bazan & anyone who wear it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for advices for PantOpx lenses-Dr. Bazan & anyone who wear it

I am very excited since I about to get my prescription PantOpx /7eye glasses soon and after trying the frames for a few weeks I realized a significant improvement in my life quality.

Now, I have to decide what type of lenses to choose, and I would like to consult with all of you here on DEZ.

I decided to get two prescribed glasses. One pair dedicated for the computer and one all purpose pair Outdoor/Indoor.

I am no expert in this field and has very little understanding. I figured, that for the computer Polarized +AR lense would be best to reduce glare and rediation. For the 'all purpose' pair, I was thinking about Photochormatic Transitional /Progressive lenses, to adjust for differneces in light for outdoor and indoor.

However, I read a few posts of folks complaining that indoor the lense become clear and they look like raccoon. While I have nothing against those animals, it might be too weird for people around me, in work, meeting with clients and social interactions. On the other hand, my concern is that, regular lenses would limit my vision indoor say in an office environment make it hard to read document or perform other activities due to the dark lenses.

Also, I understand that different lense colours have also effects on light, rediation, vision and etc.

Taking all that in account, based on your experience and learned opinion, what would you recommend and why ?

Jumping in

I have the transitional day to night. They darken slightly even indoors. Most people do not even give me a second glance. I've even had compliments on my "cool" glasses. but I have found the transitional are not dark enough in a car on a sunny day. I've had to switch to a sunglass clip on over eyeglasses that are tinted half way down. I'm going to invest in another pair of Panoptx scripted but this is a "$600.00 investment" for me so it's waiting for a little while.

Hope this helps some.
    Billye

Comment

For me, the light-adjusting lenses never get dark enough for outdoors whether driving our in full sunlight. I use polarized lenses if I'm wearing Wiley-X, and the darkest lenses (sharpview/sharptec etc - which also happen to be the cheapest type) if I'm wearing Panoptx.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Most photochromatic lenses are activated by a certain type of UV light. Your car's windshield blocks this light and inhibits the color change. You simply can not beat a pair of solid, polarized glasses for driving. IMHO there is no substitute. Some people may advocate the brand DriveWear which can activate with visible light as well, but they are not exactly a hot seller bc they never turn clear. I personally would look into polarized clip-ons or polarized rx suns.

Sunglasses made with photochromatic lenses that turn clear indoors are trendy for some, hideous for most.

For the computer specs: AR for sure, polarized surely not. If you have an lcd monitor, the polarization is going to be problematic.

If anyone needs optical ?'s answered, feel free to send an email to a fantastic certified optician. MaryMcRae@ParkSlopeEye.com I know for a fact that she can superiorly field the question of what color tint to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Bazan OD View Post
          For the computer specs: AR for sure, polarized surely not. If you have an lcd monitor, the polarization is going to be problematic.
          As usual many thanks Justin and all of you for your insight

If you don't mind, I would very much appreciate if you could further explain with more details why polarized lens is problematic with LCD. The Optometrist suggested polarized lenses for the computer as an optimal option. According to him, polarized lens virtually eliminates reflection and glare (horizontal glare). So for me, as someone with no background in this field, it is somewhat counter-intuitive.

Comment

lense color for -->computer / indoor

anyone using PantOpx or any wraparound sunglasses for the computer:
            Are you using polarized lense, if so how this is working for you ?
            also do you find the lense color to be too dark for the purpose of working on a computer ? if so what color would recommend for a computer work ?

PantOpx/Wraparound INDOOR
            do you find the glasses too dark indoor ? How is this working for you indoor for reading tasks and other related activity which require a clear vision ?
            based on your experience, which lense color works best indoor ?

Reading the comments above, it seems that photochromatic isn't an optimal solution and that it's probably better to avoid it....thanks

Comment

I think your doc probably was referring to polarized shades for outdoor use only. I have yet to hear of anyone using them with an lcd monitor. LCD monitors have a polarizing filter in them which would make the screen almost black at certain angles. In addition to that, polarized lenses tend to be dark brown or black which can decrease contrast, which is a bad thing. Double check with your doc, he might know something I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Bazan OD View Post
                I think your doc probably was referring to polarized shades for outdoor use only. I have yet to hear of anyone using them with an lcd monitor. LCD monitors have a polarizing filter in them which would make the screen almost black at certain angles. In addition to that, polarized lenses tend to be dark brown or black which can decrease contrast, which is a bad thing. Double check with your doc, he might know something I don't.

Justin, I admire your knowledge which is cross fields -optometry, DES, eyes diseases, etc...and of course your goodwill and support for us here in DEZ.

The optometrist I work with on the sunglasses suggested polarzied lens for the computer. However, after reading your post, I called my brother who is a physic and mathematic university senior, and he explained me in more details what you just wrote here. So I understand that since LCD are mostly if not all polarized, with polarized lenses I might not see anything...
                So that eliminate polarized lense at list for computer use...

That leave me with Anti Reflective coat. By the way would you recommend Polycarbonate lenses or other material ?

By the way my brother also had an intersting point that it might be best to use a clear lenses for the computer, since any other color block some colors, which in turn might cause my eyes to make more effort which would result with strain, which is what I'm trying to prevent or reduce in the first place. This is an interesting point, and I am interested in your learned opinion on this one.

Comment

Working...
                X