Question for those with severe long term dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those with severe long term dry eye

Mine was only severe for a few months and even then I had times where I was comfortable enough to function pretty well.

I have a friend who is having dry eye problems. Her mother had it severely until her death. My friend wants to know if those who have severe dry eye ever have total remissions, or times of day when it is not noticeable, or if the intensity is pretty much the same all the time. I told her I did not know, but I would ask.

She believes that severe dry eye will be her future based on her mother's experience.

I'm not sure what you mean by severe. Is it severe in pain? Severely reduced tear volume? Combo? When I was diagnosed I was severe on both fronts. I have learned to manage things with plugs and drops etc. There are times that are better than others. My eyes are happiest on warm, rainy days with no wind blowing. Humidity is my friend. I flare with dry air, wind, AC, allergies, certain meds, alcohol, caffeine, .......I can't say I have ever had a remission. I deal with this on a daily basis.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I don't know if I fall in 'severe' probably more moderate, I do have better days that others, but I'm never symptom free, -- if that helps.

how are the synergeyes going?
      just keep swimming...

Comment

The Synergeyes remain the miracle I had hoped for. When they are in I cannot feel my dry eye 95% of the time. When I do feel it it is remedied with Refresh drops. I rarely need them more than twice a day and many days not at all. Without the Synergeyes in, I am quite uncomfortable within 1-2 hours. By 3-4 hours I am quite miserable and want to put drops in every 5 minutes. I wear them about 14-15 hours a day. They are doing exactly what he said they would do. They hold the moisture right on the eye and are a total miracle for me. It only took 2 fittings to get them perfect. The bifocal part is good and I only need reading glasses for the phone book or tiny instructions on a cough syrup bottle.

Comment

Long Term Dry Eye

Having dealt with this for 50 years it can vary greatly from minute to minute to months at a time. It;s very hard to compare because now there is so much for dry eye compared to back then when one just had to suffer with it. Most of everything I went through over ten years ago was awful, the pain, the discomfort, can't read or drive, just wanted to take the eyeballs out of my head. But now it is much more tolerable to very good, I know I am a lt
          little hardened from all the painful years, but still with all the new info and products available now most of us at least have a better chance at some relief. Protect your eyes, even when they feel good protect them anyway, much of what you read here about methods and products are all worth trying to see what works best for you. Myself I like to use tranquil eyes and protect my eyes from any wind or fan or whatever may help dry them out. Flaxseed oil works great for me also. Now when they feel good I jusy keep doing my eys like they were hurting, I go for longer periods of time wihtout problems this way.

Comment

Working...
          X