Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Dr. Bazan

Hi Dr. Bazan,
    I have very dry and painful skin around my eyes (my upper eyelids are practically cracked looking too) and I was wondering if it would be ok to use Vaseline around the eye area up to where the eyelashes start. Would this cause any adverse affects to the eyes and meibomian glands?

If so, what product can I use instead that is safer?

Thank you so much!

Thanks for asking a great question. To be completely honest, I am not sure. I know some practitioners Rx Vaseline to smother eyelash lice. It is reasonable to assume that it would clog, or at least cap mgs. It probably will also wreak havoc on the tear film.

Most of the irritated skin that I see, is allergic in nature. People seem to find relief when the excess allergy drop makes its way onto the irritated area. A dermatologist is definitely a better person to ask.

Comment

Thanks Dr. Bazan! I'm pretty sure my skin isn't allergic...in fact allergy drops make it feel worse. I did ask my derm, but he just said that no eye cream should be applied that close to the eye.
      Then I got to wondering....what about using a thick eye ointment for the skin around my eyes? Do you think that would have any moisturizing properties for the skin?

Thansk again!

Comment

Maybe try Caster Oil - some people have recommended that

Comment

Originally posted by marykate View Post
          Thanks Dr. Bazan! I'm pretty sure my skin isn't allergic...in fact allergy drops make it feel worse. I did ask my derm, but he just said that no eye cream should be applied that close to the eye.
          Then I got to wondering....what about using a thick eye ointment for the skin around my eyes? Do you think that would have any moisturizing properties for the skin?
          Thansk again!
          You're welcome. I am perplexed you brought your dermatologist a skin problem and he didn't offer much help. I would first think that he would determine what the irritation as from. Did he already make a diagnosis?

Comment

My derm just said that it seems I very dry skin on my eyelids and that it shouldn't bother me too much (but it does!). It is not red or anything.

There was not much of a diagnosis. I do not have rosacea according to him, but I get a lot of flushing esp when close to hot temp, such as showering or eating spicy foods, and I have acne. The skin on my face burns...but the doc sees nothing on the my skin that would suggest any problems. The skin on my eyelids feel worse after a warm compress or shower...but I cannot skip the warm compress as it makes my eyes feel better.

I feel that my derm is more interested in cosmetic things like botox and stuff...so I've made an appt with another derm, but it is 5 weeks away. I am a little desperate for some relief either for my eyes or eyelids...it's too much pain in the eye area...=(

Comment

Good for you! I am a big fan of second opinions and finding a doctor that works well with you.

Comment

Working...
              X