Oh Lasik Ad, How You Amuse Me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Lasik Ad, How You Amuse Me!

Oh man- i heard an ad or the radio today and just HAVE to share it w/ y'all- the ad was for a lasik center (of course) and it went something like this- Say goodbye to glasses and hello to healthy eyes when you get lasik done! Ha! I started laughing when I heard that ad in the car. Although my eye problems are not due to a lasik procedure, I have read enough of y'alls stories on this site to know what kind of damage it can do... I definitely don't think y'all would consider your eyes healthy after lasik. Just thought I would share.
    -Amy

Amy

it is a bit like the ads in the UK. One that I recall says that you can have "our best laser surgery today and you could even be back at work tomorrow".

It only it were that simple, I don't know of anyone that was back at work the day after - I could be wrong but it seems a little misleading to me.

Ian

Comment

So happens that I had dinner out tonight with two friends. As I'm pulling into the driveway, listening to my car radio, I heard a local "celebrity" telling of her "wonderful lasik" with "my wonderful lasik surgeon" and how happy she is. Just call Xxxxx and she'll set you up for a free appointment. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
      Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

It breaks my heart to think of the poor, unknowing "perfect patients" who will hear those ads and respond only to complicate their lives far beyond anything they have ever known.
        After 3 whole weeks of only good eye days today my eyes feel like crap so everything is making me feel especially grumpy!

Comment

Just curious...

By FTC regulation, any add for Lasik that does not include risks is in violation of their policies....and any add that infers you won't need glasses and your eyes will be "healthy" due to Lasik is on some pretty shaky ground.

Of course, I can imagine how bad the Lasik business is right now so they are pulling out all the stops to pay the overhead.

NM

Comment

yeah, I mean magazine ads for botox have all the fine print.........why should lasik? it's pretty ridiculous. Around here it's mostly radio personalitites doing the "testimonial" type advertising. Which is worse I think!!!

Comment

Visits to the hairdressers are always a bit of an ordeal for me and my dry eyes - which wasn't caused by Lasek.

Explaining my problem to a new hairdresser, there was shock when I told him that people who had Lasek might suffer these environmental problems also.

As someone who was fed up with contact lenses, he opted for Lasek. He was not aware dry eye was a possible consequence; he had a successful outcome but was not aware that there might have been any dangers.

On the plus side, he said that the treatment was preceded by a thorough examination but never at any time was the dry eye problem mentioned. He admitted that if he had known, he may have thought twice about it - and he would certainly `spread the word'.

Comment

Working...
              X