Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Problem

Hi everyone!

Firstly, I would like to say what a great help it has been to find this website. Knowing I’m not alone in my problem makes me feel a lot better.

I've booked a visit to the doctor in a few days so I'd just like to run some info past you all and get some opinions.

My eyes are fine throughout the day (although they are VERY red for the first hour or so since I've woken up, and sometimes I can be sensitive to light outside), but at around 6 or 7pm, my eyes seem to just completely give up on me and become very sore/strained/tired and I am unable to watch TV or use the computer for more than 10 minutes without it becoming unbearable. I usually just end up in bed by about 8pm…

I’ve had this problem for just over a year now. At the start, I noticed changes in my eyes over a 2 week period – I saw veins appear where there were no veins before, and my eyes were becoming increasingly tired/sore/etc… I have no idea what started this condition, I didn’t change anything about my life/routine, it just came out of the blue. I seem to remember first experiencing dry eye the morning after going to the cinema the night before – could this be relevant?

I’ve been to the doctor many times, mostly being told to use over-the-counter drops. One doctor thought it may have been blepharitis – but having looked at pictures of blepharitis on Google images – I have none of those crusty, sticky features. Although it can sometimes feel like my eyelids are swollen, especially my bottom eyelids. From just looking at my eyes, you can’t really tell there is anything wrong (except in the mornings). I’ve stopped using the over-the-counter drops recently as they haven’t made any difference. I’m not taking any other medicines.

Is it a common complaint of dry eyes to only be affected in the evening? Are there any possible causes as to why my eyes are OK during the day, but suffer at night?

Is it normal to wake up with very red eyes? I have a lot more veins in my eyes when I first wake up, most of which fade away after 15mins, and the redness decreases. Could this indicate something about my sleeping arrangement? I always get enough sleep, at least 8 hours a night.

Could dry eyes be brought on by an allergy or some sort? Perhaps I am allergic to my clothes washing powder, or dust mites in my bedding – I have no other allergy symptoms, like a runny nose for example. Is this a possibility?

I also have a very mild case of eczema, a few small red spots on my body - and generally my skin is on the dry side. Could this mean anything?

Thanks.

Posterior blepharitis (meibomian gland dysfunction) does not necessarily have any noticeable external signs. There are many here... myself included... who have this. I rarely get any obvious signs in my lids unless I'm neglecting my eyecare regimen. I'd spend some time on this site and others reading about MGD, how it's diagnosed and treated (treatment is typically warm compresses, topical and/or oral antibiotics, omega 3 supplements, and careful eyelid hygiene), before you visit the doctor. In particular I'd try to get them to do a really good hands-on examination of your lids, pressing on the glands to see the consistency of the meibum. If the doctor doesn't do this, chances are they don't know enough about MGD to diagnose it properly.

Welcome to DEZ
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X