Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eye redness 24/7 -tried everything..advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye redness 24/7 -tried everything..advice?

Hello,
    I've been suffering from extreme, constant eye redness for about 5 years now. I'm only 20 years old and I don't know why this is happening. I became addicted to using the OTC red drops up to 10x a day for about a year and now I use them around 2x a day. I know they're aweful for you, but I just dont know how to stop! i've seen a few doctors, tried restasis, steroids, flax seed tablets, you name it, I've tried it. I read that some of you completely stopped using the OTC drops for redness and I was wondering if anyone has gotten any better. I'm lookin for some hope of improvement if I stop using them. Has anyone noticed any positive changes in their eyes?? And does any one have any good advice for me or a name of a great doctor near Michigan that you would recommend?

I'm so glad there's a site like this that we can all talk about our eye problems and help eachother out!

Hello

Lets see your 20 - I am 48 and used OTC for longer than you have been on this planet - so in short - yes there is hope for you.......

I quit last July 2007 and have not looked back - It will take at least 3 months for your eyes to get better - Since you may not have dry eyes - you may get away with just putting in some artificial tears - I use blink tears - You will also need to use the thicker kind for a while -

I actually bought some glasses and had them tinted - they have no prescription but look real - I used these for the first 3-4 months to hide my redness -

Today I am good - my eyes still get red occasionly - but at least now I know I can put something in them that will not harm them

Need advise - email me timothycarroll@verizon.net - I can help you through this

Comment

Try to stop using drops and put on swimming goggles instead. See if you experience a dramatic improvement while the goggles are on.

Comment

Thank you for the help. It's just really hard because I'm a junior in college and I meet new people all the time, and its so frustrating when it seems everyone comments on my eyes.

I never thought about getting tinted glasses, thats a good idea, I'll look into it.

My main doctor said I do I dry eyes, but it doesn't make sense sometimes because I don't feel like I do. I'll try the artificial tears though. Can you buy blink tears in the grocery store?

Comment

I m in college too..get tinted lens and if someone asks say that you are having a problem with your eyes and lights bother you....thats what i've done for the last 6-7 years....I'm 24...it's hard I know how you feel.

Comment

Were you ever on OTC drops for rednesss at all? The tinted glasses thing is a good diea, I'm going to look into that. Have you done anything where you've notice improvement in your eyes?

Comment

tinted glasses

I got my on eyeglasses.com - picked out some cool frame, etc - they are quick to ship and return if you have issues

I wear them occasionally at work if I have a bad day

Comment

Red eye help

Stop using constrictor drops,wear sunglasses outdoors ,keep using your preservative free dry eye drops.BUT the best thing I have found for red eyes is ice.I also had dry eyes,tried everything,flaxseed,hot compresses,humidifier etc etc.For the last week I have ditched it all out of frustration and now sleep with a gauze soaked in iced water on each eye(bowl of iced water in an ice filled small esky)If I wake and the gauze is off, I just dip it back into ice water ,squeeze and reapply.I usually put in a dry eye drop before bed then put the gauze on.My eyes have just improved over the last week.Hope this helps Nancy

Comment

Tim,

Did you just stoped with the "get the red out of your eyes eyedrops" and 3 mounts later your eyes were better???
                  Did you have red blood vessels in your eyes before? I stoped with every eyedropp 2 weeks ago, and i have one blood vessel that has now became blue in the morning and the others are still red.

Comment

redness effects

It took me a long time to get better - I wore the glasses for over 6 months before my eyes felt better - It has been almost 2 years now without the OTC and my eyes are better - I rarely needs the tear drops - I do have lower plugs -

So for those out there - there is hope - these days you can contact me at
                    timothy_carroll@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Blakesl8,

Yes, I agree with others, stop the constricter "get the red out" eyedrops immediately. It is hard to do because for a few minutes, they make your eyes look better, but after 2 or 3 months, I think you will be much happier. As most everyone has mentioned, keep using the preservative free eyedrops for moisturizing. I was hooked on the constricter eyedrops for 20 years. Then a dr finally told me they were a big part of my whole problem!!! I've got other issues too, but I think you should take this simple step first, then see how things go. And buy those tinted eyeglasses if it helps make you feel better! Good luck and keep us appraised!

Comment

Thank you...I think I'm going to really try to stick with ditching those drops this time. I'm going to go out soon and buy some tinted glasses...I just can't take the redness and after affects anymore!

Comment

blakes18,

I donīt know but maybe there is a change in my eyes now when Iīm not useing any eyedrops or maybe itīs just in my head. Let me know how it goes for you.

Timothy,

Itīs good to know that there is hope, maybe one day my eyes will look better

Comment

Keep the faith

I know I had a long road - then to top it off, once my eyes were better - my teeth and mouth starting bothering me - then I had to go through the whole sjogrens testing - which came back negative - but I am still going to a rheumatoligist at the end of the month - I have no aches or pains - my eyes are not bad - but now my mouth is dry - Ain't life grand

Comment

sorry think i wrote the same thin twice
                              Last edited by sanna; 25-Apr-2009, 07:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X