Negative News Item: LASIK Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative News Item: LASIK Contest

This radio station in Ohio 1015 is holding a contest and the "winner" receives LASIK surgery for free.

The ad states the following:

The "polls" are open! Who do YOU think should "Win Rick's Eyes"?

Read the entries below.

After you've looked over all the entries, vote for the person you think deserves LASIK from Optivue! (Be sure to click the "vote" button below for it to count.)

At 7:30 this Friday morning (1/16), Mary Beth and Rick will announce the person who will "Win Rick's Eyes" from Optivue and 101.5 The River!

I notice there is no way to contact the station by email to let them know that they are potentially giving away a life of pain and suffering. This is terrible. When will the word get out about the risks of Lasik?
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Here is the station's contact information:

WRVF
      125 S. Superior St.
      Toledo, OH 43604

Business Office: 419.244.8321

We are located at the corner of South Superior & Lafayette Streets in downtown Toledo, diagonally across from the Spaghetti Warehouse restaurant. The office is open from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

Tom Cook, Progam Director

Here is the e-mail address of "Rick," whose "eyes" one supposedly "wins," followed by his side jock, Mary's e-mail:

rick@1015theriver.com

MaryBeth@1015theriver.com

Comment

Originally posted by liz56 View Post
        Here is the station's contact information:

WRVF
        125 S. Superior St.
        Toledo, OH 43604

Business Office: 419.244.8321

We are located at the corner of South Superior & Lafayette Streets in downtown Toledo, diagonally across from the Spaghetti Warehouse restaurant. The office is open from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

Tom Cook, Progam Director

Here is the e-mail address of "Rick," whose "eyes" one supposedly "wins," followed by his side jock, Mary's e-mail:

rick@1015theriver.com

MaryBeth@1015theriver.com
        Thanks much. I think we all should send an email expressing our opinion.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Two emails hot off my keyboard enroute to Toledo. Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Right behind you Lucy!

Bernadette

Comment

here is the reply I recieved when I pointed out the "down side" of Lasik.

I need to run out the door now but I will reply when I get back. The problem with the whole Lasik thing is that those who are not in pain or sufferein bad eyesight seem to refuse to believe that this is possible...

I am going to forwaard him the link to Rebecca and that female Dr. who spoke aainst Lasik at the FDA hearing.

Bernadette,

The Lasik I had is nothing short of remarkable. My wife had the
              "bladed" Lasik several years ago and speaks of a "halo"
              effect now and again.

I do not have that at all with the laser correction. My mother (she is 84),
              sister, my wife's sister and her brother-in-law have all had the procedure
              within the last 3 years from different doctors with no ill affect.

When compared to glasses and the hazards I experienced with really bad night
              vision, bladeless Lasik was a miracle for me.

Thanks for your comments.

Rick

Rick Woodell
              Mary Beth and Rick in the Morning
              The River 101.5
              Rick@1015theriver.com
              Last edited by bernmee; 12-Jan-2009, 15:52. Reason: More info

Comment

...Proving yet again that the most effective LASIK salespeople are the unpaid ones: Successful patients who are genuinely happy with their results.

By urging others to enjoy those benefits, without knowing enough about the 'rest of us' to also urge caution & research, they often have no idea that they may be doing someone a disservice. This fact always gives me pause when I think about myself. If I'd had a great result, I probably would have been just as bad.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

I sent the station a scathing email and politely let them know they have opened the door for a lawsuit. Here is the reply, with blinders fully on I see:
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry you are so appalled. Lasik procedures are now quite safe. I have had it and highly recommend it to everyone I meet. My sister and 83 year old mother have both had it.

I think you'll be amazed at how many medical procedures carry risks. In the litigious society in which we leave, lawsuits are all too common for any and everything imaginable. I am sorry that this fear keeps a few people from taking advantage of the brilliant and safe medical procedures now available.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Rick

Rick Woodell
                  Mary Beth and Rick in the Morning
                  The River 101.5
                  Rick@1015theriver.com

Comment

Well, sniff, I didn't get a reply from either. I think they got our point though as they were ready with the usual clap-trap. Ugh.
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Silver lining:

This is really just a paid advertisement just like any other...on behalf of the LASIK facilty. The good news is that it's probably a desperate ploy to drum up business because traffic for refractive surgery docs cannot be good right now.
                      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Those replies infuriate me. "You'd be surprised how many surgeries carry risks"? Really? I'd be surprised? I, who have suffered a complication from a common and "totally safe and amazing" procedure?

How condescending.

Meanwhile, someone I know, and warned about the risks of LASIK and PRK, someone I told my story to, had PRK anyway and is now suffering from dry eyes.

I'm continually shocked by the number of people who think that anyone who has a bad outcome from any surgery is 1. hysterical, 2. probably has some underlying mental problems, and 3. is wrongly blaming and suing their surgeon.

Comment

I hear you!!! It is next to impossible to explain your situation, concerns, and fears to someone who has not experienced our plight. I know what I see and feel but when I think about how it may sound to others, it does sound a little far-fetched.

Comment

Remember to make yourself clear:

I'm not saying that a person WILL have negative side effects.
                            I'm not even saying that a person will PROBABLY have negative side effects.
                            I'm saying that a person MAY have negative side effects.

As far as I can tell, "most" people are "thrilled" with their results.
                            That's fine. I simply tell the prospective person, "Read the fine print. There is a (slight) danger of side effects that the public isn't talking about." That's enough to get their attention.

"My best friend drives without a seat belt. My cousin drives without a seat belt. My sister-in-law drives without a seat belt. They're all alive today. Therefore, I conclude that driving without a seat belt is perfectly safe." Come on, think about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X