Mucin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mucin?

Mucin deficiency has been one diagnosis of my eye problems. But if I get occasional blobs of mucin in my eyes does this mean that i am unlikely to be mucin deficient?

thx

does anyone have an answer for me on this?? thx

Comment

Originally posted by david2404
      does anyone have an answer for me on this?? thx
      I'm sorry, but I'm not sure about your question, but have you searched mucin deficiency in the search up at the top? Who was it that said you do have a deficiency?

Comment

yeah, i've done some research on it but it's still confusing that if i have mucin "blobs" collecting in the corner of my eye that i could have a mucin deficiency - which was diagnosed by two opthamologists in london (on the basis of guess work admittedly as i don't think there's a test for this).

Comment

Some opths do a test with a small paper type thing they place it on the white of the eye and it takes an impression of mucus cells. will tell you if your deficient. I had mine done in spain while trying blood serum drops- i wasnt.

Does you mean mucous blobs in your eye? that doesnt mean your mucin deficient that just means your eyes are dry and not washing away mucous or could be caused buy mgd. I get mucous in the corners as well which i have to wipe away.
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

thx for the reply sazy. I havent had that test done no. The docs I have seen have told me it wasn't possible to test, so i'll look into this. I'm one of those cases that I've been told a different thing by every opthamologist I've seen.

Sorry. I guess the question is confusing. The question was not whether the presence of the mucin blobs mean I'm mucin deficient. I wanted to know how i could be (or if i could be) mucin deficient if I have mucin "blobs" in the corner of my eye. I don't get them a lot, only occasionally. But I'm thinking, if I'm mucin deficient surely I wouldn't get any!

d.

Comment

Originally posted by david2404 View Post
              Mucin deficiency has been one diagnosis of my eye problems. But if I get occasional blobs of mucin in my eyes does this mean that i am unlikely to be mucin deficient?

thx

The blobs in your eyes are mucus, not necessarily mucin. More likely they are due to less water in your tears. I used to get this a lot until I found eye drops that work for me. It is produced due to irritation. The more you try to fish it out, the more irritation you will have and the more mucus you will have. Here is a link with more info, just scroll down to the Mucus paragraph near the bottom of the page. http://boards.webmd.com/webx?THDX@@....hild=.89ac340e

You can also read about Mucin in the Dry Eye Zone encyclopedia.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/mucinlayer.html
              Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by david2404 View Post
                thx for the reply sazy. I havent had that test done no. The docs I have seen have told me it wasn't possible to test, so i'll look into this. I'm one of those cases that I've been told a different thing by every opthamologist I've seen.

Sorry. I guess the question is confusing. The question was not whether the presence of the mucin blobs mean I'm mucin deficient. I wanted to know how i could be (or if i could be) mucin deficient if I have mucin "blobs" in the corner of my eye. I don't get them a lot, only occasionally. But I'm thinking, if I'm mucin deficient surely I wouldn't get any!

d.
                Yes i have been told various different things by all sorts of doctors. I have found the best thing to do is to use this website, trace back history of causation-

what do you think led to it, what triggers etc? where do you have inflammation is it eye surface/eyelids, if any? (eyelids- MGD is likely)
                do you have allergies, rosacea? (either of these most likly MGD or mucin- mucin is rare)
                what are your schimmers like? if they came back low- prob have aqueous deficiency, but doesn't rule out other forms.
                do you have blocked glands along lid margins?- MGD
                I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
                X