Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These big ol' eyes of mine...

Hey all,

Ive been battling eye problems this past August. I was originally diagnosed with blepharitis and MGD (in one eye alone) and was put on antibiotics and steroids. After growing ever more frustrated, with my doctor, the problem began to affect my left eye as well (Weird huh?)...

I eventually couldnt even use a computer and went to the ER, where I was told I had chronically dry eyes, and that my eyelid margin looked pretty darn good (the doc said I had no evidence of blepharitis). Although when I do expell the glands, some white liquid (it is not pasty, rather it is like white drops) is expelled...

I received a referal to Dr. Latkany, who immediately told me I slept with my eyes open, and that I tend not to blink as much as I should, and that this has been a major cause of my dry eye. What was remarcable was that as soon as he came into the office he told me this, without even looking at my eyes with the machine. He is an incredible physician.

I have started sleeping with tranquileyes (and using regular drops) and this has made my eyes feel extremely better, and I no longer wakeup feeling terrible.

Now here is my problem: My eyes feel perfect now 24 hours a day, except when I use the computer. After using the computer for 20 minutes, they feel shot! Adjusting the angle at which I view the monitor has definitely helped.

I am very frustrated because my job requires me to use a computer most of the time. And my efficiency has just plumetted to the point that my boss has been growing frustrated with my level of performance (he knows about my condition, but doesnt truly understand what we go through as dry eye sufferers).

Side note: At the same time I began having eye problems, I started developing skin problems, which my dermatologist diagnosed as seborrheic dermatitis. It is pretty much raised skin that is very flaky in three areas, most noticeably in the middle of my forehead (right between the eyes).

I feel like this *cant* be a coincidence, and that the problems must be related to one another. I was told to wash my face with anti-dandruff shampoo, but this hasnt really helped the skin condition. Anyone have experience with this?

If any experts out there, can maybe point me in the right direction, I'd be more than thankful. Also, do you think maybe being put on doxycycline would help with the MGD?

Skin and Eye Problems

I too have noticed the correlation between skin and eye problems. I cannot say for sure what exactly is going on, but it is hard to argue with the facts. I have also seen a dermatologist, but she was very indecisive. She did, however, prescribe Elidel cream, which was not a good idea. I cannot say if it helped or not the skin situation (also in the eye area, specifically forehead), but it irritated my eyes so I stopped.

I now am looking once again at alternative solutions. I continue to suspect that there is some sort of inflammatory situation going on. As such I am trying an herb, turmeric. I have taken it internally and now have tried it externally as well. I have opened the capsules, mixed the contents with some lemon juice, applied to the skin area below my eyes, and will continue this regimen for a few days. I of course found this information while googling. I shall advise if this provides any relief to the skin and/or eye problems.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Yeah well you know whats weird is that I too am having problems with my eyes and face. Like starting in august I've been breaking out on and off, and my eyes have been good for a few weeks then bad for a few weeks... This past Friday, I told my eye doctor about it, and he basically said that the eye's and face use the same oil or something like that, I can't really remember exactly what he said but I think it was something in that manner? He recommended that I use my Thera Tears omega-3 pills, and to see if my face and eyes start to get better the longer I use the pills. Just thought I'd share that.

Is your face like drying out? My face is pretty flaky but I think its because I've been having to clean it more often because I keep breaking out. It helps a ton if I use face lotion, so you might give that a try if it just seems dried out to you. I understand how you feel about computers also, I work at a call center for 7 hours a day, and my eyes are pretty much destroyed after I get off. Then I come home and get on the computers again, which I should stop like right now lol.

Comment

Yes, I have experienced lots of dryness once this eye situation came in. In fact, I even went to a endocrinologist and got a full blood test to see if anything came back, and the guy found nothing out of the normal.

I have been taking the Theratears nutrition too! I started on Jan. 1st so I have about 4 more weeks to go to know whether its had its full effect. I dont feel much different though.

You also might want to go to an allergist and get a test done?

I went to one and she told me that I was strongly allergic to dust mites. The only odd thing is that I almost never ever sneeze. Can you be strongly allergic to something and only manifest the symptoms in your eyes/face?

Comment

My skin and eyes are also both dry and my skin (trunk of my body mainly) is very sensitive now. If I scratch my back, it gets red marks and bumps and takes several days to calm down... Allergies can affect you in many ways, definitely not just by sneezing... Oy vey!!

Comment

jjright1,

I have one suggestion about your computer use. It's been mentioned on this site many times that lowering your monitor is a great help for people whose eyes suffer using the computer. The theory is that if you're looking down at your computer instead of straight across, your eyes remain somewhat closed.

Also, there are blinkers on this site that you can download. They can help you to remember to blink more as you work at your computer.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/reminders/index.html

Best of luck.

Dianat
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Just wanted to provide an update: I tried Optivar yesterday, and all I can say is WOW. I had tried otc pills such as Claritin, but nothing made me feel like this.

As I instilled one drop in each eye, I felt a cooling sensation and it was like my eyes were back to normal. The effect lasted a very long time

Does this mean that my dry eye is being caused by allergies?

I know that the preservative in Optivar can be toxic to the eye... I am fearful of using this on a regular basis.

I am now trying Similasan, preservative free. This seems to be helping, but is definitely not as strong or as cooling as Optivar.

I have also ordered an air purifier to try to remove as much of the dust in my environment. Maybe this will help.

Comment

Working...
              X