• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is a three-birthday-day!

Happy birthday wishes to three of our DETalk veterans:
    to painintheeye (age 44),
    to stephgurl1986 (age 23),
    and to our fearless leader, Rebecca Petris (who is obviously ageless).

Thanks, Mary, and happy birthday to my fellow birthday-ites!

Today I'm celebrating my big 4-0 by taking the day off! (Well, after I finish this post, that is )

I received a card from my sister - along with a wonderful book on bread-making with whole grains which I can't wait to get started on today - welcoming me to "middle age, or whatever they call it these days".

So, I googled "when does middle age start" just out of curiosity. My body has been so stiff getting out of bed the last few days I wouldn't be surprised if I'm there... only I prefer to blame it on digging flower beds and cutting down trees, which I overdid a bit this week.

Anyway, I found this link to a definition on middleage.org. The writer of this site says that "middle age is that point in your life when you shift from seeing the future in terms of your potential and begin to see it in terms of your limitations."

At first that struck me in a sort of negative light. I feel like I am in a place where as time goes on I am more, not less, aware of and inspired by potential. Maybe hope is a better word. But when I let that phrase sink in a little more, I was thinking there is at least one sort of limitation which I think affects me in a positive way: time itself. The more aware I become of my own mortality the more I treasure each day and think more about making it count.

Happy Friday everyone.

p.s. I just changed my profile to show my age
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Happy Birthday painintheeye, stephgurl1986 and Rebecca! Enjoy!

Rebecca, 40 is a wonderful age, the first day of the rest of your life. This is the first decade when one is perceived to be mature and wise but not old! Milk it for all it's worth!
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Happy birthday to all you Pieces!

I'm glad to hear that you are taking time for yourself, Rebecca. I hope that you have / had a really great day!

--Liz

Comment

Happy Birthday to you all.

I too am hitting the big 40 this year, but I am not remotely concerned about it.

I can still do everything today that I have always done - it just takes a little longer.

My dad used to say don't have any regrets growing old because a lot of people don't get the opportunity.

Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Cheers!!!!!

Ian

Comment

Working...
          X