Pure Genistein Could Offer Relief for Dry Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Genistein Could Offer Relief for Dry Eyes

More than 20 million Americans suffer from the discomfort of dry eye syndrome (lacrimal keratoconjunctivitis, or LKC), an ocular surface inflammation that develops from tear film failure that is regarded as one of the most frustrating clinical problems in daily ophthalmic practice.

On October 9, 2008, the World Intellectual Property Organization published the pending patent by DSM Nutritional Products for genistein, which, according to the patent, when ingested, has been shown to provide a simple alternative to eye drops for maintaining healthy eyes.

This discovery is based on a novel study in an animal model of induced dry eye syndrome.

In this study, supplementation of the diet with genistein restored tear volume in the animals and increased the density of mucus-secreting goblet cells in an apparent dose-dependent manner. Goblet cells are responsible for the mucus layer in the conjunctiva of the eyelid.

These findings suggest that genistein can potentially be used in dietary supplements to help maintain healthy eye structures and tear production, which would be a welcome alternative for millions of consumers who currently have little option but to use inconvenient eye-drop treatments.

GeniVida™, formerly known as BONISTEIN®, is a branded pure non-soy genistein from DSM. It is available in both food- and pharmaceutical-grade and has an extensive, published safety package. GeniVida™ is available in both crystalline and tablet-grade forms.

DSM Nutritional Products is the world’s premier ingredient supplier to producers of functional foods, beverages, and dietary supplements. The organization provides a solid platform for technological innovation and new product development. Utilizing its extensive resources, DSM Nutritional Products keeps its customers ahead of the ever-changing marketplace, anticipating customer needs as nutritional trends develop and customer demands evolve.

For more information, please contact DSM Nutritional Products, Inc., at 45 Waterview Boulevard, Parsippany, NJ, 07054-1298. Phone: 1-800-526-0189. Website: www.unlimitednutrition-na.dsm.com
    Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

This is interesting but it always raises more than a grain of suspicion with me when a supplement touts a cure for any medical problem. It is unfortunate that the website requires one to "Login", and even more unfortunate that we do not yet have any links to scientific studies that support the claims. I googled and found they also advertise this as a supplement used for the relief of menopausal symptoms. http://www.npicenter.com/anm/templat...19920&zoneid=8 Homework time!
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Well, since I have both, that would really help me, if true.

If anyone finds this product, let us know how it works out. If I find it, I will do the same!

Comment

Originally posted by lilahp View Post
        Well, since I have both, that would really help me, if true.

If anyone finds this product, let us know how it works out. If I find it, I will do the same!
        Ditto here. For the perimenopausal symptoms, I have had nearly complete relief with D.I.M. and magnesium 500mg/day. PM me if you want more info on the DIM.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Working...
        X