Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology

I'm attending this meeting this. There are many presentations on Dry Eye and Ocular Surface Inflammation. Ranging from ways to alleviate dry eye pain to the ability to measure dry eye related disability. Of course there are many posters on research in new meds. I hope to digest all the information next week and make some post on what seems promising.

The schedule looks great!

I am so excited to see what you come back with. There are a lot of interesting papers being presented.

Thanks,
    Gretchen

Comment

that sounds fascinating.
      i'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
      thanks, betty
      Originally posted by indrep View Post
      I'm attending this meeting this. There are many presentations on Dry Eye and Ocular Surface Inflammation. Ranging from ways to alleviate dry eye pain to the ability to measure dry eye related disability. Of course there are many posters on research in new meds. I hope to digest all the information next week and make some post on what seems promising.

Comment

That's great! Thank you advance Indrep for taking the time to share with us what you learn. I am looking forward to it.

Comment

Many thanks...
          Melissa
          pianolady

Comment

Ditto-Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
              I hope to digest all the information next week and make some post on what seems promising.
              Looking fwd to reading you

Comment

Looking forward to hearing about it, thanks!

Carolyn

Comment

Hey indrep! Thanks. Wish I could be there. It will be great to have someone knowledgeable report back to us on what's going on!
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

where is it being held at...and can anyone be a guest..m

Comment

I am not sure if anyone can register to attend. I would guess you could. It is held in Ft. Lauderdale, FL every year around this time. www.arvo.org

From first glance at many of the posters(presentations) :
                      1. Continuing to look into causes of dry eye, unfortunately most seem to concentrate on reducing inflammation and ignoring what leads to inflammation
                      2. Have maybe identified a way to stimulate the lacrimal epithelial cells that can make tears. Actually grow new ones).
                      3. Methods to evaluate the debilitating effects of dry eye and how it relates to disability
                      4. Much discussion by HA (sodium hyaluronate) and its ability to heal the corneal surface
                      5. Pharmaceutical products to slow growth of blood vessels into cornea, to reduce pain of dry eyes, to reduce inflammation on the ocular surface
                      6. Study of actual tear flow and its affect on the ocular surface. Think fast evaporation of your tears and what is happening with the cells on the outer layer of your cornea

Over the weekend I plan to read all the presentations again and will post individually by subject. If you have questions I may can answer them but remember these are very smart people doing this research and all we get are the basic facts, but I will do my best to find out what you would like to know.

Comment

5. Pharmaceutical products to slow growth of blood vessels into cornea, to reduce pain of dry eyes, to reduce inflammation on the ocular surface

Indrep - I am very interested in the reports of Avastin (Bevacizumab). Although I believe that it is being discussed for corneal neovascularization, it has also been used with success on the ocular surface damage and inflammation of patients with Stevens-Johnson. I am interested to hear if there is any mention of a wider applicability of the Avastin for additional ocular surface conditions such as dry eye.

So exciting! Again, thank you!

Gretchen

Comment

Most discussions for Avastin that I am aware of deal with AMD first and neovasular glaucoma second. I have about 100 presentations to read on dry eye and ocular surface so maybe it is mentioned in one of those and I will post on Monday.

Comment

On the corneal neovascularization track, there are papers posted on anti-vegf (others plus Bevacizumab) & CNV. I am interested in this because of the recently published study at Mass Eye & EarL

http://www.masseyeandear.org/news/pr...avastin_study/

Enjoy your light reading over the weekend ; )

Gretchen

Comment

I just read your link. There was one other presentation that showed topical methotrexate also helping withing corneal neovasculariztion.
                              Are you currently experiencing this?

Comment

Working...
                              X