Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Is Absolutely Amazing!! Possible Upcoming Treatment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Absolutely Amazing!! Possible Upcoming Treatment!

http://www.scivee.tv/node/5761
    Last edited by kitty; 13-Jun-2009, 07:33. Reason: This is a drug that hopes to treat DES, no promise of cure.

Thanks! This sounds really promising! I'm happy to know it is a protein, too! I wonder if it might help with EBMD?

Thanks, again, for the great tip!

--Liz

Comment

Hi -

Yes, Lacritin is very interesting but not new. It has been around since about 2004/2005. From my understanding, there is some manufacturing/packaging viability issues with the protein. But it is interesting, however seems stuck for some time at such an early stage unfortunately.

Gretchen

Comment

do you think it could possibly be in production soon? Like what do you know about this?

Comment

Originally posted by ttdub View Post
          do you think it could possibly be in production soon?
          Probably years away, frankly.

Here's a link to an earlier thread about it.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

I don't know. Like I said, it has some manufacturing/packaging issues.

Moreover, this is not even in Phase I human trials yet. Testing on rabbits doesn't count for FDA approval, it is just prelim research. From inception to final FDA approval and going to market, a drug can take years or decades.

Sorry but just want you to have accurate expectations.
            Gretchen

Comment

Ya I know about the phases in medicines. I was hoping this video was an old one and they had started human trial but wasn't sure. This is a pretty big downer but still good news. I hate how long it takes for a medicine to come out, but I know it's needed.

Comment

Be cautious with verbiage..

I don't see that this is touted to be a cure. While it is a one drop dose, and/or one drop resulted in improvement in tear production, I don't find any evidence that only one dose is required to make DES go away, nor does that appear to be what the gentleman is touting. A cure means the disorder is gone after the treatment, with no further treatment required. For example, people with milder forms of DES whose symptoms resolve with the use of plugs are not cured. Once the plugs are gone, the DES symptoms return. We should all be cautious with words that promise a cure, especially this early in the product testing.
                Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks for this post!

But I don't want anyone to get their hopes up. A poster presentation means the research is at a very preliminary basic science stage...basically they think lacritin might be a viable drug. When it's a poster presentation, they don't even have enough evidence to publish a paper on it. So if this were to be a viable treatment, we've still got years to go. Most discoveries talked about in a poster presentation never make its way to a drug. Unfortunate, but it's reality.

Comment

Good post

Of course any treatment coming from will be years away but nevertheless it is encouraging that scientists like this chap are interested in novel approached to treating dry eye syndromes.

Regards.
                    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

ARVO poster D906

I spoke to the presenters at the ARVO meeting. The issue I like most about this product is that there is evidence this helps recreate the cells in the lacrimal gland that actually make water. Many tests have shown that 36 months of surface inflammation can kill the lacrimal cells that make water and the nerves leading to the lacrimal gland. While you may never regrow the nerves, regrowing the lacrimal cells to produce more water would help tremendously. So thats the good news.

The bad news is that they haven't studied this on a human yet and without funding it doesn't look like it will start soon.

Comment

Then we need to get them some funding! That's really good news!

Comment

Working...
                        X