X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN: Contact lens can dispense drugs to eyes

Hi all,

Just spotted this article on CNN!

"Contact lens can dispense drugs to eyes...............Dry-eye sufferers and glaucoma patients may soon be able to trade their messy eye drops for a contact lens that delivers medication gradually over time."

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/sci...ugs/index.html

Ian.

Cool! I heard the idea on this board first.

Thanks for the story, IanJ.

--Liz

Comment

I've always been fascinated with the idea. It would be nice to have the shield that a contact offers, and hydration at the same time. Kind of hard to picture how they could make a financially viable application with artificial tears (as opposed to Restasis or other Rx products). I mean, think of the volume of drops you go through in an average day or week. Would it be a daily disposable or something??
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I think maybe an initial use could be as a "bandage lens" when the cornea needs protection and antibiotics are needed. And it could deliver steroids in very low doses instead of using ointments with preservatives.

Preservative free medication for glaucoma delivered through a contact lens would be an improvement---I think the only thing available now contains BAK.

I really doubt the system would be practical for those needing corrective lenses---that sounds complicated and expensive----unless there were some way to infuse medication into manufactured lenses that are already being sold for vision correction.

C

Comment

That would be awesome! If they could put like our favorite eye drop in it and it would work for a long time. That would be amazing. It would almost be like having a cheap scleral lens in!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
            I've always been fascinated with the idea. It would be nice to have the shield that a contact offers, and hydration at the same time. Kind of hard to picture how they could make a financially viable application with artificial tears (as opposed to Restasis or other Rx products). I mean, think of the volume of drops you go through in an average day or week. Would it be a daily disposable or something??
            The thing about it is that it's like it says in the article. Our eye only absorb about 1-7% of the drops that we put into it. So it doesn't have to put in our eyes as much as we do because it will just put in what it normally absorbes. Plus with constant wetting, it would be just like the benefits of sclerals. Also, it says that it would last for about 30 days. so lets say they could make one that lasts for like 15 days but puts out double the amount if you need it.

Comment

For hydration purposes, perhaps they could infuse the lens with something along the lines of the slow dissolving goo Lacriserts are made of. A Lacrisert is small but is able to provide close to 12 hours of moisture.

At any rate, this sure as heck is a step in the right direction!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ALK-O'd View Post
                For hydration purposes, perhaps they could infuse the lens with something along the lines of the slow dissolving goo Lacriserts are made of. A Lacrisert is small but is able to provide close to 12 hours of moisture.

At any rate, this sure as heck is a step in the right direction!!!!
                That's a good idea. And it would actually be on the eye unlike lacriserts that just go in the pocket of the lower lid.
                I'm really excited about these contact lenses now!

Comment

The cool thing about this is that it isn't a drug so if it works, it should work on everyone, not just this person and possibly this person. I hope I'm not the only one excited about this.

Comment

I read the article, too.
                    Every little bit helps.

I'm stepping into the future, one day at a time.

Comment

it sounds great. How long do we have to wait until it comes to the market? I'm a bit worried that it'll take another 5 years... I need a solution in the next 1-2 years otherwise my life will be a total mess!

Comment

Working...
                      X