Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scleral lenses- How much do they help against dry eye?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral lenses- How much do they help against dry eye?

Hi,

so after having tried out basically all the other standard approaches I will visit a clinic in germany soon where they work with sceral lenses.

The thing is, I'm projecting a big amount of hope into these. Why is that? Well, before I had even heard about them I thought to myself: " Wouldn't it be the greatest thing if in the future some kind of artifical layer for your eyes will be developed that simply makes it irrelevant if your eyes can't produce the right liquids on their own? Then, a few months later, I read about scleral lenses. And I was a bit blown away. To be honest, a special contact lense with some kind of artificial tears (or what is it) under it isn't completely what I had imagined but still: It makes so much sense to adress the problem of having dry eyes by just putting some kind of layer on the eye.

So, my question is: How much did it help you? Or are there any studies about the effects of scleral lenses on dry-eye-syndrom?

Currently, for example I struggle to read. It' possible but not enjoyable. I used to love reading novels, by now, I mainly read non-fiction books because with my eye-problems I don't really get drawn into ficitional stories anymore. I would be so thankful for again being able to sink into a story again without remembering reality all the time because my eyes hurt, are photophobic or just because I actively have to pay attention to blink since they get dry otherwise. The same goes for walking around in the sunshine without caring about my eyes and many other things...Could scleral lenses achieve that for me?

​Thansk in advance for all your answers!

I have scleral lenses for dry eye but I also have them for irregularity in my cornea from lasik. I absolutely loved my lenses after I got them back in Dec 2014. My eyes felt better at night after I took them out and they were improving overnight as well. That all changed in July. My eyes have slowly gotten worse. I started to have to put drops in my eyes, (which I never had since I got the scleral lenses) more and more because the lenses would dry out so bad they would hurt and I could not see. It is Oct and I have tried Lotemax which did not help. I am not on Avenova which is a new eyelid cleaner to see if that helps. Next is Azasite. I am up to putting drops in about every hour at work since I am on the computer all day. But I HAVE to have these for vision. So yes I think scleral lenses can help dry eye but everyone is different. And everyone has a different experience. I have AD and MGD and Ocular Rosacea. What is your diagnoses?

Comment

Not really sure actually. I definitly don't have enough tear production. It is probable that my meibomian glands also don't work correct but the communication of all those doctors is just a mess. I mean, my tear-break-up-time also is too low but I'm not sure if that automatically means that you're meibomian glands don't work correct. Because I would imagine that actually just getting the tear-layer out of proportion by having too less tear production could result in bad break-up-times. However, I have acne, sebohrroic skin and a mild sebbhoric dermatitis near the eyes (but with a bit of ointment that actually isn't not visible at all), so I guess something is wrong with my glands too. Definitly my sebaceous glands under the eyelashes (I don't think those are meibomian already) produce way too much sebum. If I don't do eyelid-massage for 2 days i can actually see that I'm pressing small amounts of what looks like tallow out of the glands under my eyelashes. So I definitly think that surely causes some negative response of my eyes etc.

I'm thankful for any other answers about scleral lenses concering my question!

Comment

Hey,

Here's my post about my recent with sclerals:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forum...ses-in-coppell

Comment

Working...
        X