Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New custom scleral technology? Superior comfort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New custom scleral technology? Superior comfort?

Has anyone heard about or had this procedure done: http://eyeprintpro.com/patient/

It looks very good.

I've spoken with the mother of a girl who has a really challenging case and for whom other excellent scleral options have not panned out in the long term... she has had phenomenal success with it. I'm really pleased to see more custom lens options emerging. As we all know there is no one size fits all miracle approach to anything in this business.

Might, em, have more to share after next week
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Well, in less than 24h I seem to have an EyePrintPro lens that is good to go. Never had such success with a first lens of any kind before that I can recall. I don't like to post results too early for this sort of thing... I will report back when I've had the lens awhile. For now, I can say, the lens feels terrific and the vision is very good. The OCT image of the lens on after 5 hours wear this morning was impressive. I'm used to being one of those people who are not a slam-dunk to fit with specialty lenses no matter what kind... and this was nailed the very first time.

The process is very different. They take an impression of the eye with blue goo that has to sit on the eye for about 1.5 minutes while it solidifies. I'm not squeamish about my eyes and it really didn't bother me a bit but I'm sure there are others for whom it would be tougher. well worth it though.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Hi, Rebecca.

Wow! This is fascinating!! It is great to know that more and more of this type of devices are being developed. Not much details on their website. Is this still at an experimental stage? If not, where is Dr. Christine W. Sindt's practice located? I am so looking forward to hearing everything about your experience with this device.

Comment

It's really quite new... As I understand it, Dr. Sindt (who is at U of Iowa by the way) developed the impression technology as far back as 7 years ago. They did a clinical trial around the beginning of this year. I think they started fitting lenses sometime last year. I believe they said there are more than a dozen optometrists around the country who are trained to take the impressions (the impressions would then be sent to the lab in Denver where the lenses are made). With most commercial type sclerals I would think that part of the process is excruciating because you have to wait so long for lenses to come back, then when they do they're never right the first time and the iterations can span weeks and weeks. But with this... well, I am trying not to get too excited prematurely but it's hard not to think about the implications for many patients if they could go to an OD in their state to get the impressions done and have a successful lens the first time through. - Mind thus far I only have two direct experiences to go from, my own and the parent of another patient. I am going to be anxious to see how folks with ocular surface diseases who try it fare.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

I might be one of those folks you are talking about with ocular surface diseases to try the EyePrint Pro. I exchanged messages with Dr. Sindt yesterday, and I'm talking to my insurance today to see if they will cover part of the cost. Did you have any luck getting insurance coverage for your device? If they work out for me, I may be able to avoid the corneal scrape I have been dreading. As you said, the sheer availability of the devices for the patients all over who cannot travel to Boston or Dallas would be tremendously helpful. In my case, because I am located right where the lab is, it will take me only 2 days to get the devices in my eyes. That alone is a huge benefit to me. Keeping my fingers crossed my insurance will approve it.

Comment

I would be interested in hearing more, especially on the comfort level. I've never worn sclerals, but got the impression that they could be a bit fussy for some people. My eyes are super sensitive to just about anything in them, including drops.

Would be nice to have sclerals as an option--maybe not to be worn every day--for more outdoor activities.

Comment

Miki-mama, may I ask how much will it cost you? Just want to have something to relate to.

Comment

The cost is $7000 for both eyes. This is before any insurance reimbursements. In their experience, the patients got an average of $2000 per eye from insurance (some up to 100%), making the total net cost around $3000. It will vary depending on each individual's insurance coverage. EyePrint providers do not file for insurance payment, the patient pays them first and then file a claim for reimbursement through their insurance. But they will work with you to get the documents together for the insurance claim.

For comparison, BFS PROSE is $10,000 for the pair. My insurance, for instance, will pay 70% of the cost of PROSE. But I have heard that some people got 100% coverage. FYI, BFS will file for insurance on patient's behalf. Dr. G's scleral lenses are $3500 for pair, and there is no medical insurance coverage for them.

It is a big financial investment, no doubt. But so many patients benefit significantly from them, in many cases, saving their eyes and sight. Insurance companies should recognize the benefits, and start offering more coverage for them. In many cases, these devices can be worn in lieu of much more expensive (and risky to patients) surgical procedures, thus saving the insurance companies large sums of money.

Comment

Fantastic news Rebecca!! Interestingly I just discovered the new optometrist whom has been making my scleral lens (onto my third optometrist now) and finally success for me with a comfortable 14 hour wear time, perfect vision!! Well, he is working with Dr. Christine W. Sindt's from EyePrintPro and several other leading USA based manufacturers of Scleral lenses. At the moment it takes us many days to do all the scans and have the computer talk the lathing machine. Compared to just a few hours in specialty clinics with multi million dollar machines in the USA. This Australian optometrist has just flown back from visiting several USA states involved with Sclerals and claims such technology is not far away from Australian shores!!

Comment

Oh I surely do hope so. There are a lot of folks in Australia who need these technologies. EyePrintPro certainly gave me the impression that of all lens technologies to date it *may* just turn out to be the most friendly to farming out among local optometrists around the country/world.

Congrats on the great vision/long wear time - that's excellent!!
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Hey there Rebecca, really great news to hear you are doing well with the impression lenses. You guys in the US are extremely fortunate to have so many quality options available to you.

As you know, I live in Australia and last year travelled all the way to Texas to see DrG and get fitted with LaserFit lenses. This was following Lasik complications and having my entire lasik flap disintegrate. The vision and comfort I have now is really amazing, I don't recall ever seeing this well before. I am very thankful that I got my vision back and got rid of the dry eye issues. So grateful in-fact, that I even helped out with the re-design of DrG's website.

I find it very interesting the disparity between the pricing of custom sclerals from different companies, and wonder how the pricing can vary so wildly. I paid $3500 for my LaserFit lenses, yet Boston Prose cost $10000 and EyePrintPro $7000. Any idea what justifies such huge price differences?

I guess I am a bit biased as I wear LaserFit lenses, but from my perspective why on earth would someone in the US not go see DrG first, as his lenses are the only lenses to incorporate wavefront guided optics and he is a true expert in his field having been the pioneer in the industry for so many years. He is also obsessive about getting the optics and fit as close to perfect as possible, and at $3500 to me this seems like an absolute bargain!

I know different people, have different levels of success with one type of scleral lens vs another. Perhaps I am missing something, but taking into account the price point, his expertise and the unique technology - why wouldn't LaserFit be a persons first logical port of call?

Comment

Hello all.

Those eye putty lenses do sound very interesting indeed. Gosh, not sure how much I like the idea of squirting a mold into my eyes. I am rather squeamish about things of those sorts. I would like to mention my experience thus far with scleral lenses. I have tried many lenses in desperation to help with dry eye pain and very poor night vision after Lasik surgery. The "Boston Prose" lenses did help considerably with the dry eye pain, but did not get rid of night time halos and starbursts. The Prose lenses were also a bit uncomfortable for me and I was constantly aware of the lenses in my eyes. After the Boston Lenses I went to Texas for Laserfit lenses from Dr Gemoules. This thankfully solved both my nighttime vision problems and dry eye pain. The lenses are extremely comfortable and I can hardly feel them in my eyes. In my opinion Dr Gemoules is a master fitter and his Laserfit lenses have brought the quality of my life back on track.

Comment

Hi, Rebecca.

Any updates on how you are doing with your new lenses?

Comment

Miki-mama, can you tell me how much replacement lenses are? I tried to send the question through their website last month, but didn't get a response.

Comment

Working...
                              X