Traveling with a scleral lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with a scleral lens

I wrote a weblog post about traveling with a scleral lens, in my case to Costa Rica. The Dry Eye Shop is featured. Hope the tips are helpful.
    http://www.sarahartman.com/have-scleral-will-travel/

Oh what a fabulous post. How come I haven't seen your blog before, must not have been paying attention! I love all your detail about how you made this work. An inspiration to anybody who thinks their eyes are going to stop them from doing anything fun or exciting forever!

Definitely deserving of a sticky here. Great reference info.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I am with Rebecca

Thank you for making it public and happy!

Comment

Love your post! I hope it serves as inspiration to anyone here who feels like dry eyes have ruined their life. Obviously it can ruin life as you knew it, BUT, you can still find workarounds for sooooo many activities!

I don't wear sclerals, but despite my freakishly severe dry eyes, I've gone ziplining (with my Wiley X sunglasses on), boating, snorkeling, swimming (with swimming goggles), and recently, racing down waterslides at Waterbom in Bali, Indonesia (where the slide attendants were understandably amused by my wearing swimming goggles lol )

We are currently traveling for 10 months in SE Asia, and I had to bring an extra 2 carry-on sized suitcases to fit enough eye drops to last me the entire trip - everything has worked out wonderfully, and my eyes are basking in 80% humidity!

Again, LOVE your post!!! P.S. Costa Rica is on my travel bucket list, so you may hear from me someday asking you about traveling there

Comment

I too, loved this post and the blog. You go, girl! "Now Voyager depart! Much, much for thee is yet in store." OK, Im a sucker for old movies. SAAG it's great to hear you are loving that trip. I knew you would!

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
            everything has worked out wonderfully, and my eyes are basking in 80% humidity!
            Great to hear. Enjoy!!
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

SAAG,

I know you are still in the middle of your Asian adventure, but if you had the time to post a thread letting people know how your travels are going and any pertinent tips you could give, I am sure it would be appreciated by many Dry Eye Zoners.

A couple of things in particular my wife and I are interested in are -
              • how are you finding the hot humidity ? We travelled to British Columbia in winter two years ago and we found the coastal area with the cold but relatively humid weather to be good for Kathy's eyes. We would hope the hot humidity would be good too, but perhaps the heat could increase inflammation.
              • you talked earlier (in another thread) about the worry of losing your drops in the checked luggage on your flights. When we fly from Australia to the US we check nearly all of Kathy's drops, but if we lost the bags we know we could get reasonable substitutes in the US to get by with. Have you checked out the Asian pharmacies to see what drops they have in case you had to make do with these ?

As I mentioned, I am sure any tips you could give would be well received. I hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your wonderful trip.

Neil

Comment

Here you go Neil

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...l-and-Dry-Eyes

Comment

Working...
                X