Scleral Lens and MGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral Lens and MGD

Are scleral lenses useful for people with mgd? Are they kind of like wearing moisture chamber glasses all the time?...Max

Originally posted by Max52 View Post
    Are scleral lenses useful for people with mgd? Are they kind of like wearing moisture chamber glasses all the time?...Max
    I have had much relief from PROSE scleral lenses. The fitting process was long but the result was well worth it. I was lucky that insurance paid for it for me. I had a problem with a nodule on one of my corneas (probably not related to the lens) and my lens in that I doesn't fit anymore so I will have to have a new one fitted. But I am on Medicare now, and Medicare doesn't pay for scleral lenses, so if I have a new one fitted, I will have to pay out of pocket. I would do it if I could be sure that I could get a fit as good as the one in my other eye. Scleral lenses are a nuisance to put in, and you have to follow the directions to clean them so you don't get an infection, but I find the inconvenience well worth the relief that I get from them. I much prefer wearing scleral lenses to moisture chamber glasses. Now I wear wrap-around TheraSpecs glasses, they are more comfortable than moisture chambers and they don't block any of my peripheral vision. I am much more comfortable driving in the TheraSpecs than in moisture chamber glasses

Comment

Originally posted by heyjude0701 View Post
      I much prefer wearing scleral lenses to moisture chamber glasses.
      Do the scleral lenses offer more relief than the moisture chamber glasses for you?

Comment

Yes, the scleral lenses offer much more relief for me than moisture chamber glasses. They help more with photophobia, and my eyes don't feel gritty as much with the scleral lenses. Also, I am able to read for longer periods of time with the scleral lenses. Before I had sclerals, I liked the Panoptx moisture chamber glasses best but they would sometimes fog up while I was driving and I didn't like losing peripheral vision. Once I got the scleral lenses I never went back to the moisture chamber glasses. Now I just wear wrap-around sunglasses (TheraSpecs work best for me).

Comment

I have had much relief from PROSE scleral lenses. The fitting process was long but the result was well worth it. I was lucky that insurance paid for it for me. I had a problem with a nodule on one of my corneas (probably not related to the lens) and my lens in that I doesn't fit anymore so I will have to have a new one fitted. But I am on Medicare now, and Medicare doesn't pay for scleral lenses, so if I have a new one fitted, I will have to pay out of pocket. I would do it if I could be sure that I could get a fit as good as the one in my other eye. Scleral lenses are a nuisance to put in, and you have to follow the directions to clean them so you don't get an infection, but I find the inconvenience well worth the relief that I get from them. I much prefer wearing scleral lenses to moisture chamber glasses. Now I wear wrap-around TheraSpecs glasses, they are more comfortable than moisture chambers and they don't block any of my peripheral vision. I am much more comfortable driving in the TheraSpecs than in moisture chamber glasses
          Part of my problem is that my eyelids get very sore. Do scleral lenses come in contact with your eyelids?

Comment

They do, and that can be a problem for some people. There is a coating that some people have put on the PROSE scleral lenses; I think the coating has to be re-applied once a year, and that helps a lot for eyelid soreness. Eyelid soreness hasn't been a constant problem for me in the past. But these last few months my eyelids have been getting sore more often and staying sore. I had not been able to find an eyelid cream that does not burn my eyes until recently. Someone on the DEZ recommended pure coconut oil, but that burned my eyes a lot. A few days ago I discovered a cream called AloeMoist that doesn't burn my eyes. I rub it into my eyelids at night and in the morning (I don't use it while I am wearing the lenses). It quickly absorbs into the skin and is very soothing. It is not greasy, so it doesn't leave a residue that gets on the lens. It is organic and is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties; maybe it does because my eyelids have been feeling a little better since I have been using it.

Comment

They do, and that can be a problem for some people. There is a coating that some people have put on the PROSE scleral lenses; I think the coating has to be re-applied once a year, and that helps a lot for eyelid soreness. Eyelid soreness hasn't been a constant problem for me in the past. But these last few months my eyelids have been getting sore more often and staying sore. I had not been able to find an eyelid cream that does not burn my eyes until recently. Someone on the DEZ recommended pure coconut oil, but that burned my eyes a lot. A few days ago I discovered a cream called AloeMoist that doesn't burn my eyes. I rub it into my eyelids at night and in the morning (I don't use it while I am wearing the lenses). It quickly absorbs into the skin and is very soothing. It is not greasy, so it doesn't leave a residue that gets on the lens. It is organic and is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties; maybe it does because my eyelids have been feeling a little better since I have been using it.
              Thanks...that could be the deal breaker for me. The way my eyelids feel most of the time I can't imagine anything rubbing against them.

Comment

Working...
              X