Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will sclerals stop the progression of MGD? Or possibly worsen it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will sclerals stop the progression of MGD? Or possibly worsen it??

My TBUT is about 2 seconds and my glands have moderate atrophy (no dropout though). I'm doing all I can to fix the MGD (lipiflow, IPLs, supplements). I've basically been closing my eyes most of the day and not using the computer for the past 5 months while I wait and hope for the IPLs to start working but I'm really getting tired of doing nothing everyday. I was thinking, should I get scleral lenses in the meantime while I'm getting treatments for MGD so I can start living a little bit at least. I'm hoping the sclerals will be temporary and eventually my MGD will get better where I don't need them.

1) Will sclerals reduce the progression of MGD since it will stop my eyes from getting dry and therefore inflammed?
    2) Could sclerals worsen dry eyes? I've read some stuff about sclerals possibly worsening dry eyes (like the lens are so big they cause partial blinking), and if that's the case I would rather stick it out with my current recovery plan.
    Last edited by romeodakins; 11-May-2021, 18:43.

On first question I would think no bc MGd is about the oil production. I don't know about your 2nd question.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Wallace View Post
      On first question I would think no bc MGd is about the oil production. I don't know about your 2nd question.
      I was thinking MGD is caused when you don't blink enough. And when you don't blink your eyes start burning/getting inflammed, and that inflammation response causes the glands to malfunction over time. So I was thinking if you have scleral lenses on, your eye surface will no longer be burning and therefore the glands should stop getting inflammed bc it is not touching the oculuar surface anymore, and the oculuar surface is no longer burning since it is always bathed in liquid.

Comment

My TBUT is about 2 seconds too and I have mild gland atrophy but my ded is lasik induced. Sclerals we’re a game changer for me. I work on the computer most the day. Couldn’t do it without sclerals. I can’t wear them all day, but rotate them in and out during the day to control symptoms and wear zienna moisture chamber glasses when not wearing sclerals. Been doing this for 7 years and am so used to the routine and dealing with the pain (that I have tools to control) that it’s just normal to me and I work hard, am productive, and am happy. If moisture chamber glasses help you at all, highly recommend seriously considering sclerals. My dry eye has not gotten worse during this time and having a cool saline bath held on by sclerals to calm down my corneas when they get painful has kept my overall symptoms at a much lower level because I can break the inflammation cycle that makes bad dryness snowball into unbearable dryness.

Comment

Originally posted by DryInDenver View Post
          My TBUT is about 2 seconds too and I have mild gland atrophy but my ded is lasik induced. Sclerals we’re a game changer for me. I work on the computer most the day. Couldn’t do it without sclerals. I can’t wear them all day, but rotate them in and out during the day to control symptoms and wear zienna moisture chamber glasses when not wearing sclerals. Been doing this for 7 years and am so used to the routine and dealing with the pain (that I have tools to control) that it’s just normal to me and I work hard, am productive, and am happy. If moisture chamber glasses help you at all, highly recommend seriously considering sclerals. My dry eye has not gotten worse during this time and having a cool saline bath held on by sclerals to calm down my corneas when they get painful has kept my overall symptoms at a much lower level because I can break the inflammation cycle that makes bad dryness snowball into unbearable dryness.
          Have your glands gotten more atrophied during the 7 years you were wearing sclerals? Also why can't you wear sclerals all day? Does your eyes eventually get dry or is it a different kind of pain from the sclerals themselves?

Comment

Any update on this romeodakins?

Ive been having the same idea as you originally had in this post.
            Most of my glands have stopped releasing oil.

Background for me: I have keratoconus in my left eye, thus already using scleral lenses.
            During my IPL sessions, the eye in which Im using scleral lenses, seem to improve, while the «good» eye, hasnt showed any sign of improvement.

Comment

Working...
            X