Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slight irritation with sclerals, should I keep wearing them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight irritation with sclerals, should I keep wearing them?

I just got my sclerals but when I have them on, there's this slight constant irritation/burning sensation. I know it's not coming from the cornea because I can keep my eyes open for 20 seconds straight and theres not much irritation. Maybe it's from my eyelids scraping on the lenses? I got the Tangible coating on it so its super slippery on the surface though.

Or maybe it's because the lenses aren't completely fitted properly yet? (my doc made adjustments after trying the first one, this is my 2nd pair).. I'm still getting IPLs done concurrently and I'm wondering if I should keep wearing the lenses even if there is this slight irritation. I'm worried that the irritation could cause more inflammation on the meibomian glands.

Hi there,
    If it doesn't "feel" fit-related (edge sensation, tightness, etc) there's always the possibility it's solution related, which is a common problem with sclerals. What are you filling the lenses with? What cleaning and disinfection solution(s) are you using? These details can make-or-break a scleral lens experience.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Hi there,
      If it doesn't "feel" fit-related (edge sensation, tightness, etc) there's always the possibility it's solution related, which is a common problem with sclerals. What are you filling the lenses with? What cleaning and disinfection solution(s) are you using? These details can make-or-break a scleral lens experience.
      I'm using lacripure and cleaning with clear care plus.

Comment

OK thanks! So there are a couple of things it might be worth experimenting with. I would consider the saline first. Lacripure is an excellent product but it's unbuffered, which means it is relatively acidic, and for some of us that can cause a mild burning sensation or irritation or even redness. You could try Scleralfil, which is buffered and pH balanced. More expensive per use though.

Regarding the Clear Care Plus, many people do fine with it but some find that regular Clear Care works better for them.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          OK thanks! So there are a couple of things it might be worth experimenting with. I would consider the saline first. Lacripure is an excellent product but it's unbuffered, which means it is relatively acidic, and for some of us that can cause a mild burning sensation or irritation or even redness. You could try Scleralfil, which is buffered and pH balanced. More expensive per use though.

Regarding the Clear Care Plus, many people do fine with it but some find that regular Clear Care works better for them.
          So I tried mixing in 2 drops of PRP per lens with the lacripure, it seems like it still feels the same. When I close my eyes for a few seconds, I do feel better. Do you think the lenses aren't fitted properly? So far this is my 2nd pair (doc has made the initial fit for lenses 1, and then 1 adjustment fro lenses 2). Perhaps I need more fitting apointments?

Comment

Working...
          X