****** probe : scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ****** probe : scared

Edit : sorry, mistake in the title and can't edit it !

Hi,

My condition isn't improving... Some days are better than others, but nothing really new. I'm now on cyclosporine, doxy, castor oil drops, and have an appointment in february for ****** probe. My doc think it could help me, but after reading reviews on it about scaring of the meibomian glands I just don't know if I should go for it anymore.

Any testimonials? Advices? I'm totally lost and scared
    Last edited by dominorose; 22-Dec-2014, 08:18.

I had meibomian probing and wasn't concerned about scarring. Scarring can only occur if the needle pierces through a gland into an adjacent gland. An experienced eye doctor will not miss the meibomian glands and if the needle moves accurately along the lumen of the gland then there's no chance of scarring. During my probing I could hear grissly sounds and popping that proved there was already scarring there. The probing 'pushed' through the scarring allowing an opening.

I didn't receive much benefit from it in terms of "relief" because the mechanism that pumps the oil out is faulty (blinking)... I am a partial blinker. However I am satisfied knowing the glands are now open and it was confirmed after expression that more oil was released.
    Last edited by DCRdryeye; 22-Dec-2014, 19:00.

Comment

Thank you for your answer, I'm really relieved. My doc is really serious and I totally trust him... So maybe it's worth givin it a try.

Comment

Have you been doing blinking exercises? They can really help I've heard.

Comment

I had MGP done and it really helped my eyes, but it's very important you know what the causes of your particular dry eye situation are. If you don't address them all, you'll just end up in the same condition shortly afterwards. MGP clears blockages but it can't address the causes of the blockages in the first place and you really need to do that in order to get lasting relief. MGP is very expensive and given it is invasive, just repeating the procedure over and over isn't really an option to just keep addressing the symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Jelena Ristic View Post
            I had MGP done and it really helped my eyes, but it's very important you know what the causes of your particular dry eye situation are. If you don't address them all, you'll just end up in the same condition shortly afterwards. MGP clears blockages but it can't address the causes of the blockages in the first place and you really need to do that in order to get lasting relief. MGP is very expensive and given it is invasive, just repeating the procedure over and over isn't really an option to just keep addressing the symptoms.
            It wont cost me anything, in France it is free. My MGD is caused by rosacea that's all I know. My doc says my glands are totally clogged, and that I could really benefit from it. He doesnt offer the procedure very often, I know 3 other patients seeing him and he never talked about it with them (it's the Professor Doan in France)... I really think I can trust him but I dont want to do it if it can hurt more than help!

Comment

Originally posted by dominorose View Post
              It wont cost me anything, in France it is free. My MGD is caused by rosacea that's all I know. My doc says my glands are totally clogged, and that I could really benefit from it. He doesnt offer the procedure very often, I know 3 other patients seeing him and he never talked about it with them (it's the Professor Doan in France)... I really think I can trust him but I dont want to do it if it can hurt more than help!
              That's great it's free in France! MGP may clear the blockages, but if you don't address the rosacea, you'll just be stuck in the same place again shortly after the probing. I know. I had probing done and I think a large part of why I had great success with it was that I addressed all the causes of my Dry Eye at the time. I also had rosacea. When I got to the bottom of it and got rid of it, my eyes got much better.

Given that rosacea is an inflammatory condition, and depending on how severe yours is, I'd try to get it under control before doing the probing.

Comment

Jelena, how did you get rid of your rosacea? I have it, and take minocycline and follow a strict diet, and still have it. The antibiotics and diet help, but it is always there to one degree or another. Under control, but still there. Did you find yours cleared after probing? Best wishes to you Domino. Let us know how it goes. I am excited for you!

Comment

Jelena, I wonder if that although you are a shill for Dr Gulani http://www.gulanivision.com/worldwid...nada-1114.html, if you declare this like a conflict of interest, it might be useful for us to access any knowledge or ideas you or he has on ocular rosacea treatment.

Patients should travel from anywhere in the world to see him and I will continue to refer everyone I know is seeking the best
                  If you are contacting patients here by Personal Message to advertise, you will be removed from the forum.
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
                    Jelena, I wonder if that although you are a shill for Dr Gulani http://www.gulanivision.com/worldwid...nada-1114.html, if you declare this like a conflict of interest, it might be useful for us to access any knowledge or ideas you or he has on ocular rosacea treatment.

If you are contacting patients here by Personal Message to advertise, you will be removed from the forum.
                    I have no conflict of interest there. He didn't treat me for ocular rosacea. My naturopath did. If you actually READ my testimonial for Dr. Gulani, it doesn't mention Rosacea. Nor did I mention Dr. Gulani in my post. It was an UNDERLYING CAUSE of my Evaporative Dry Eye. MGP cannot help you with rosacea - it has nothing to do with it. MGP can only clear physical blockages in glands to allow for better meibum to flow. However, if your meibum is unhealthy, if you do not address the causes of it, your issues will only return in time after MGP. So my suggestion would absolutlely be NOT TO HAVE MGP performed unless you were also able to address your Rosacea as it would ultimately be a waste of time and money. My naturopath is the one who treated me for Ocular Rosacea. If you're more interested in information than ill informed insults, feel free to message me anytime. I don't actually need to post here to help out as I've resolved my issues. I'm doing it because in order to resolve them, I've done EXTENSIVE research on Dry Eye which I'd like to share and I like to keep abreast of Dry Eye treatments etc...in case it might return in the future. I'm not interested in being called a 'shill' which is very derogatory. Please be informed about the condition you are speaking about and how it is treated before you try to sully anyone's reputation and ability to be helpful to others. If you are an advocate for patients, I'd like to think you are at least well enough informed to function usefully in that role rather than shut down people who actually know that Rosacea is a SYSTEMIC issue that causes OCULAR SYMPTOMS and CANNOT be treated with a PHYSICAL PROCEDURE such as MGP. Please do your research if you care about the patients on this forum.
                    Last edited by Jelena Ristic; 05-Jan-2015, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
                      Jelena, how did you get rid of your rosacea? I have it, and take minocycline and follow a strict diet, and still have it. The antibiotics and diet help, but it is always there to one degree or another. Under control, but still there. Did you find yours cleared after probing? Best wishes to you Domino. Let us know how it goes. I am excited for you!
                      Hi. Sorry, I was busy over the holidays and haven't logged in since. I went to a naturopath who identified that I had food allergies that caused my Rosacea. Does your strict diet come from general advice or a food allergy test? I can't promise that that is the only one cause of rosacea, but it was for me and his advice did help. Once I cut out all rosacea triggers, coffee, alcohol, sugar and the foods that I was allergic to, it calmed right down. I actually know for a fact that mine was triggered by food allergies and an oversensitivity to sugar as when I ate a combo of things that were all bad for me at once...unknowingly...I had a massive flare of rosacea that caught my cheeks AND EYES causing eye redness and my cheeks to be severely 'flushed.' That happened to me AFTER I GOT THE MGP, but thankfully, I got it under control within weeks and my eyes went back to being healthy again. I thought I'd lost all my MGP results, but I hadn't. Once I removed the rosacea triggers, it calmed right down. I did have to have blood drawn to do an allergy test that cost me $500.00, but it was well worth it. I had NO CLUE I was allergic to many things including gluten and dairy. I lived with little tummy upsets all my life as I was told I had IBS, which isn't really a diagnosis and I didn't know that. It sucks that some of us have to abstain from foods we like, but it's well worth it. Balancing gut flora with probiotics was also part of the treatment that worked for me. I can tell you that if you get MGP done, but your rosacea isn't under control, it wouldn't be surprising if your results (if you got any) would last.

I also believe that Candida can cause Rosacea. That can be treated through diet and probiotics, or with antifungals prescribed by a doctor. The minocycline can actually be contributing to an imbalance of gut flora that can ultimately cause Candida as it will attack both good and bad bacteria. You might try a probiotic. It's hard to say. You have to try to change things up to find what truly works.

If you read the post below by little mermaid, I hope you also read my response to it. I was accused very unfairly of being a 'shill' for Dr. Gulani. I did see him and gave him a glowing testimonial because he is a great doctor, but I never mentioned him in this thread because I believe anyone who knows how to perform MGP can get you great results too under the right circumstances as it really just consists of clearing current debris and blockages out of your glands. Also, MGP is not a cure for Rosacea and I was trying to make that clear to Domino that MGP won't fix rosacea. MGP alone is far from enough to get real resolution for your Dry Eye issues. I was just ECSTATIC at the time I went to see him because I could not find anyone in Canada, where I'm from to help.

Just to be absolutely clear...Probing and Rosacea have NOTHING to do with each other. Probing can make your eyes healthier overall, but won't last long if you don't address the underlying causes. Your results could be very temporary if Rosacea is the actual cause of your Dry Eye. There are many and you need to identify and address as many as you can to optimize any treatment, or have any treatment really work for you. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime. Hopefully, I won't be booted off the forum for giving a doctor a testimonial which I never drew attention to here myself.

Comment

Jelena, I'm not an advocate for patients - I have a child with ocular rosacea 7y Childhood blepharokeratoconjunctivitis: characterising a severe phenotype in white adolescents. Not treated well in children, it leads to corneal melt.
                        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear that. However, accusing me or anyone else of something they aren't doing and threatening them with being thrown off of the forum is a personal attack and unfair. This is a place people are encouraged to share their experiences and knowledge. They should not be afraid of being 'outed' falsely and in the process slandered by others. This is the definition of a shill: an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others. You've actually attacked both myself and my doctor with this insinuation. In other words, we are both low lives looking to benefit from other's misfortune instead of genuinely wanting to help. You know nothing about either of us...nothing at all, so that was a very low blow for absolutely no reason. Please think twice before attacking anyone publicly.

Comment

Jelena, if you've got a problem with someone's post, use the 'report post' button rather than blasting them repeatedly. LM is one of our most outstanding contributors here and regardless of the specifics of this situation I don't want to see verbal assaults here, offensive or defensive. As to her having "absolutely no reason", please put this in context: We have a history here of members subtlely promoting certain doctors; some are not "shills" per se - they are genuine patients who have just drunk too much of their beloved doctor's koolaid to show good judgment in their posts, while others really are staff or marketers posing as patients. One of the red flags in either case is consistent mention of a costly procedure in one's posts. Refraining from mentioning the doctor's name doesn't do much towards establishing one's bona fides as it's commonly known here that when someone posts a success, they will be asked via PM for that information. Anyone who had seen a very warm testimonial on a doctor's site and words like 'cured' in posts here, would therefore not be considered unreasonable in having concerns. I personally have encouraged overdoing rather than underdoing caution on this board when it comes to anything that smells remotely of marketing. So I'm sorry if you feel wronged. Please just be mindful of the context you're speaking into.

DOMINOROSE: I haven't been checking FB too much so not quite up on what's going on, are you scheduled for probing or already head it at this point? Hugs & hang in there.
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Jelena Ristic View Post
                              That's great it's free in France! MGP may clear the blockages, but if you don't address the rosacea, you'll just be stuck in the same place again shortly after the probing. I know. I had probing done and I think a large part of why I had great success with it was that I addressed all the causes of my Dry Eye at the time. I also had rosacea. When I got to the bottom of it and got rid of it, my eyes got much better.

Given that rosacea is an inflammatory condition, and depending on how severe yours is, I'd try to get it under control before doing the probing.
                              On the other hand this study concludes that probing can successfully treat rosacea..http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22836802

Comment

Working...
                              X