Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

READ ME: Forum or blog? Which do I use, and when, and why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• READ ME: Forum or blog? Which do I use, and when, and why?

One of the big changes since we upgraded the bulletin board is that the blogs are much more visible. Before, you really had to hunt for them, and now, the blogs link is always visible right next to the forum (above, in the green strip).

This has had the unintended side effect of... confusion. I have seen several blog posts that look like they were intended for the bulletin board. I know this whole thing can be really hard to figure out especially for those not used to discussion boards.

So what do you use?

FORUM
    The Forum is for DIALOGUES with others about dry eye.

Use the Introduce Yourself forum to:
    ...Introduce yourself

Use the Community Forums, especially Open Forum, to converse with other patients:
    ...Ask questions
    ...Rant on a bad day
    ...Rave on a good day
    ...Reply to others' questions with your suggestions & thoughts
    ...Post a good experience with a doctor
    ...Update us about your progress
    ...Post dry eye medical news of interest to others

Use the Pro Corner to converse with doctors & others:
    ...Post questions in the Dr. Q&A forums
    ...Post questions or comments in the open forum
    ...Post about availability of specialty treatments near you.

Please do NOT post new threads in any of the "Archive" sections of the forum. This is our filing & search system.

BLOGS

Blogs are for MONOLOGUES about dry eye. If you want to start a blog, click on BLOGS in the green bar, then "My Blog" in the blue bar. Remember though, when you're in the Blogs section and click "Create new post", you're adding to your blog, not to the discussion forum. Anybody can see your blog posts and comment on them, but they don't show up in the forum.

Blogs are a great way to chronicle your journey. It can be helpful for your own reference to look back later on and read about your progress. It's also very helpful for others who may be earlier in their journeys to hear what you've come through and how you're coping now.

Personally, I use my blog to post dry eye news, recent studies and such.

Blogs are, of course, totally optional. If you are looking mostly for feedback and interaction with others, the Forum is more appropriate.

WHAT'S NEW

"What's New" collects all new forum posts and blog posts so that you can see what's happened since the last time you visited.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

RE: searching blog

Hi Rebecca,

Yesterday I spent quite a while searching your blog for an abstract that I remember you wrote last year. I ended up paging through your blog going back in time... but never found it.

Do you have any suggestions/tips on how to find something more quickly? I used the search tool and had the author's name and some key words, but I still failed. Any help would be appreciated...

And maybe there's a way to separate your "personal" blog from your "abstract" blog? Selfishly, I find your abstracts easier than my searching PubMed every day for the most recent studies!

Thanks,
    Sheila
    Last edited by spmcc; 29-Jan-2011, 06:19.

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
      Hi Rebecca,

Yesterday I spent quite a while searching your blog for an abstract that I remember you wrote last year.
      Hi Sheila,

Were you looking on this site? If it was a blog post from last year, it would only be on my blogspot blog. I just started using the blog tool here this month. I haven't copied the archives over from there to here. I probably will eventually, just trying to work out a few kinks in the system.

On Blogspot, to be honest I have the same trouble myself, trying to locate past blogs. I usually end up googling them! (e.g. topic keyword dry eye digest)

If you want to PM me what it was about I'll see if I can find it for you.

And maybe there's a way to separate your "personal" blog from your "abstract" blog?
      There is: Go to my blog and look for the "Categories" section at the right side a little ways below my pic. Or just bookmark this URL (at least I think that'll work!)

I find your abstracts easier than my searching PubMed every day for the most recent studies!
      That's why I do it Actually I get the PubMed emails on dry eye, blepharitis etc, but their filter hasn't been working so well lately as the emails come with a bunch of irrelevant stuff too.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X