This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important note to everyone about one of the website functions

there was added, in the recent past, a feature to give someone a star or negative flag. I have noticed a trend starting and would hate to see it continue or become problematic for some members discouraging them.

Some people may have been flagged/ bad marked for something controversial they said, but they contribute a lot very empathetic and valuable things overall. I don't think many people know about the star system yet so they don't go looking for the star button at the bottom of a post, but they do look for the report/negative mark button when they see something they consider bad.

To make sure people don't get stuck with bad marks when they are not generally a bad person or they want to redeem themselves (not going to name names, but I know a couple people have) remember to give stars and bad marks as needed.

*you can find a star and a warning symbol at the bottom of everyone's post in a thread. click on a the star at the bottom of a person's reply or post to give that person recognition points. If they get a lot of stars over time they will get more green bars under their name and receive a better title. Click on the warning symbol for the opposite effect if the person has said something that was harmful, hurtful, out of bad taste, or a spammer etc..*

I hadn't noticed the negative effects of the report a post button... but then on another thread I saw someone's rep say "so-and-so has a little shameless behavior in the past" or some such thing... hmmm... maybe Rebecca will see this and have a chance to tell us how that works... does someone automatically get "negative" rep points if their post is reported? or is that controllable by the mods response to a reported post??

Comment

Where do you see someone's rep?

Comment

hold your mouse pointer over the little green bar(s) under someone's name in their reply box. number of bars also indicate reputation

i am familiar with rep systems in other forums. everytime someone clicks the rep buttons on someones post it adds to their score.

you start with score of 0 with a green bar that says you are on a distinguished road.
        you get 5 people to report you or whetever the threshold is set at your score goes to -5...
        at -5 score the bar under your name turns pink and says something about shameless behaviour when you mouse over it.
        it takes a set amount of people to hit the button before anything happens.

im guessing... at like maybe 20 people click your star you get a second green bar and a title.

its different for different forums. This score system is better than rewarding people for number of posts. so you're not rewarding un needed posts or spam
        Last edited by socratese; 01-May-2011, 09:37.

Comment

OK... does anybody ever read the "READ ME" forum?

Please see:
          http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...er-reputations

I understand your concerns... It is not going to be altogether smooth just "switching on" a feature like this in a forum that's been around this long with a lot of well established veterans. I'm open to suggestions. I can always "tweak" a reputation manually if it becomes a problem.

SAAG, where did you see "so-and-so has a little shameless behavior in the past" or anything like that? I know that vBulletin has its own built-in labels that it gives based on reputation level, and they were all really kind of obnoxious but I didn't override them because I didn't think they would show up here. We have a title system here that works on numbers of posts, not on reputation.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca, I saw this same rep. I hovered my mouse pointer over the green (or pink in this case) mark below names on posts and the rep shows up.

Comment

Oh, it's a tooltip... I get it. Thanks so much for letting me know. I'll change that.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                Oh, it's a tooltip... I get it. Thanks so much for letting me know. I'll change that.
                Awesome!

Comment

Thanks Rebecca! That particular rep was kind of funny but not really what we want, I don't think.

Comment

Working...
                  X