Bandage contact lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandage contact lenses

Hello. I have very severe dry eyes impacting both my meibomian and lacrimal glands. My doctor suggested I try bandage lenses as a first step prior to going to scleral lenses. I am scheduled to meet with an Optician for these bandage lenses in a couple days. I just wanted to find out if anyone had any success with treating severe dry eyes with bandage lenses for an ongoing indefinite time frame, or any negative reactions? I tend to be very sensitive to many things in my eyes such as dilating drops or flourscein drops. Are there any negative effects of these lenses or the exam and fitting process? Thank You.

Hi Keith,

Bandage lenses are more commonly used for people with recurrent erosions than dry eye per se. I've known some people who used them more for ocular surface pain management even if the cornea was healthy but that's unusual.

It's a very easy process but tolerance for the lenses themselves varies a lot especially if you have very sensitive eyes. Some people do fine. Personally I hate any kind of soft lens on my eyes (had to wear one due to a corneal injury last spring). I'm a longtime scleral lens user though and I get uncomfortable quickly with anything on my corneas.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

Thank You for your feedback. This was very helpful. I decided to skip my Doctor visit for the bandage contact lenses for now, and see how things develop in the next few weeks.

Comment

Working...
      X