This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying different plugs

Has anybody had trouble with a silicone plug, but tried another brand or type with success? In other words is it worth trying multiple types or is it assumed that if there is discomfort with one siclicone plug (the type you can see), then all will be uncomfortable? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Most silicone plugs today are very similar in size and shape. There is one company, FCI, that makes a plug with a tilted cap. If you were fitted with one of those you might try a different brand with a flat cap. That same company makes a "one size fits all" silicone plug, it is very hard compared to other plugs that can be properly sized. This can also cause discomfort.

Comment

Thanks for you response. Are you a physician and/or involved with plugs or is this from personal experience? Either way, I appreciate your answering...Happy New Year.

Comment

Hi there,

I highly recommend that you and your doctor try as many different brands/types of plugs until you find one that's comfortable. Both ducts in my left eye are plugged and the lower in my right eye is too. The first two types of plugs my doctor used were horrible for me. I could feel them constantly scratching/touching my eyeball! The third kind they tried are wonderful, (I can't feel them at all but can see them when looking closely) and they have stayed in my eyes for several years now. So definitely don't give up on them until you've tried several.

Hth!

Comment

That is very encouraging, Allison. Thanks for your response. Did you know right away when you'd found the "comfortable" ones, or did you need time to adjust to them? Also, can you share the brand? Or is that not encouraged? I suppose, though, that each person's anatomy is different, and something that may be comfotable for one could be quite uncomfortable for another. Thanks though...I appreciate the encouragement!!!

Comment

migirl,
            Previous to around the year 2000 there were significant differences in plugs by different manufacturers. Since then most companies have gone to the the softer silicone, thinner caps, smaller diameter caps and smaller sizes. Also the sizing has become pretty much universal, a .5 size from one manufacturer is very close to a .5 by another.

I am not a doc but have been involved with plug companies since 1984.

Comment

Thanks for the response, but that is a bit disappointing to hear. Allison, did you get your plugs before 2000? So many companies claim to have "more comfortable" plugs. I appreciate the time taken to answer.

Comment

Let's see...

I got mine in 2005. IIRC the ones that felt the worst to me were something like Eagle brand. Not sure what the ones I have now are though. Yes, I did know within a few hours which ones were not going to work and which were. IME they should not scrape on your eye at all. Good luck.

Comment

Allison is correct, the plug should not scrape your eye. The problem may not be with the plug however. If your lid turns in toward your eye then most any silicone external resting plug is likely to have a foreign body sensation.

Allison is also correct in that EagleVision has many diferent types of plugs at various price points for the docs. They have the older versions as well as newer versions that are more in line with todays needs.

Comment

Two Michigan posters on this thread? No, now make that 3. Alison, I sent you a PM on another matter. Lucy
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
                      I got mine in 2005. IIRC the ones that felt the worst to me were something like Eagle brand. Not sure what the ones I have now are though. Yes, I did know within a few hours which ones were not going to work and which were. IME they should not scrape on your eye at all. Good luck.
                      Thank you for this post. My first experience with permanent plugs involved Eagle Brand Plugs. I, too, had a terrible experience and was miserable the very next day; lost one and the other was scraping/hurting eye. Thus, I was in the ER on Thanksgiving Day getting one removed. Don't know if it was the brand or just the incorrect size. (Remember my desperate postings, Indrep?) This made me terribly nervous about trying them again... However, I have an appt on Thursday to consult with another doc to try again. Not sure what brand will be used, but cannot give up on finding treatments that will allow me a more managable lifestyle.

Comment

I have been thinking about this some more.

I think it is important to understand where the discomfort is occurring. If it is causing discomfort to your eye then it could be the plug. If it is the plug it could be type/design, it could be improperly sized)too big) or it could not be inserted properly(all the way inserted). Discomfort could also be caused by your lid turning back in toward your eye, this is common. If the discomfort is occurring at the punctum it could be improperly sized, it could be one of the type plugs with the "unique" anchor desin or it could be the harder silicone plug causing pressure points inside the canaliculus(the drain pipe).

The goal of the plug, other stopping tear drainage, is to minimize tissue irritation inside the canaliculus. The industry had about 3-5 years where most plugs met this criteria. In the last couple, some companies have created some new designs that appear to create multiple pressure points in the canaliculus. No studies have been performed to prove this but the anecdotal information is suggestive of this issue.

The take home message is if the punctum is measured and the smallest plug inserted then most people will be comfortable with plugs. I hope this better explains what might be happening. I should have done better job the first time.

Comment

I think you did a wonderful job, Indrep; and I thank everybody for his/her response. Good luck to you, Jah1973! It sounds like it is a bit of trial and error and a bit of luck as well!! Have a gret day.

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
                            I highly recommend that you and your doctor try as many different brands/types of plugs until you find one that's comfortable. Both ducts in my left eye are plugged and the lower in my right eye is too. The first two types of plugs my doctor used were horrible for me. I could feel them constantly scratching/touching my eyeball! The third kind they tried are wonderful, (I can't feel them at all but can see them when looking closely) and they have stayed in my eyes for several years now. So definitely don't give up on them until you've tried several.

Hth!
                            Hello, you have more experience on plugs than others.

I want to ask you, is it easy to remove the upper plug? You seems change that like change clothes :P

I had plugged all 4 years ago. But just later I got inflammation and remove lower 2, but accident occur, 1 remain in my tear duct permanently.
                            I am so pain when that accident occur, doctor making lots things but fail...

I find my plugged eye is very sensitive, everytime the irritation and redness come from it first, and seems my half plugged eye got better tear secretion.

I would like to try to remove the upper one, but I don't know if it is easy or if it is possible to take out...

Comment

Originally posted by JAH1973 View Post
                              Thank you for this post. My first experience with permanent plugs involved Eagle Brand Plugs. I, too, had a terrible experience and was miserable the very next day; lost one and the other was scraping/hurting eye. Thus, I was in the ER on Thanksgiving Day getting one removed. Don't know if it was the brand or just the incorrect size. (Remember my desperate postings, Indrep?) This made me terribly nervous about trying them again... However, I have an appt on Thursday to consult with another doc to try again. Not sure what brand will be used, but cannot give up on finding treatments that will allow me a more managable lifestyle.
                              I would suggest half plug, or use dissolvable one, if the remaining problem can be reduce by using eye drops. But I don't know your real situation.

I feel sad after get "permanent plug", salt coming out, and the eye didn't recover well compare to half plugged.

Comment

Working...
                              X