This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact problems, what about Oasys?

I've been having a hard time with my RGP lenses. While they are finally comfortable for me they get intolerable after about 8 hours. I went to my recent visit and the Dr. Said my eyes were very red/veiny...this was also about my 8 hour mark. I never had this much eye redness from acuvue advanced but I had to stop them because of my Dry eye. So the Doc said she would get a trial pair of Acuvue Oasys for me to try as she would rather I wear those than have my eyes be so red. I would just have to limit my wear below 16 hours etc. So while I like this idea, it makes me worried. Has anyone had good experience with these? I don't want to start all over just to go back to RGP's. Any insight into this matter would be very much appreciated.

Also to add...I use restasis, Systane Ultra, and have lower plugs.

Contacts

Hi I currently wear Acuvue 1 Day Moist but wore Oasys for several months. I have severe dry eye due to Sjogrens. I actually felt that the Oasys helped me. It acted like a barrier to outside air, evaporation, etc. Don't get me wrong my eyes were certaintly far from being cured. I would ofcourse go upon the recommendation of a medical professional but in my personal experience I thought they were helpful. Hopes this helps somewhat.
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Thanks for the reply kcoffiner!

That's good to hear they helped you somewhat. I feel like a barrier of some kind might help me, it almost feels like my tears evaporate too fast in RGP's. Hopefully my astigmatism doesn't get worse, I would hate to go back to soft lenses just to go back to RGP's, the first couple of weeks are horrible with them!

Comment

I use Oasys

I've been wearing them for a few years, ever since my first signs of dry eye symptoms. I take them out nightly and use Clear Care solution.

For a long time, at least a year or two, I think they did help me. My eyes definitely felt better when I wore contacts than when I didn't. During this period, my dry eye symptoms were quite mild. Using a warm compress about once or twice a week was all I needed to do.

Unfortunately, my dry eye condition progressed to the point that I'm doing warm compresses twice daily, doxycycline, Restasis, Alrex, Azasite, omega-3, TranquilEyes.

And the contacts no longer help at all. In fact, I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that they make my symptoms worse (and make my eyes redder, which is the last thing I need).

So, this is a long way of saying -- they may help you or they may make your eyes feel worse! Perhaps it depends on the nature and extent of one's dry eye problems. I do think it's worth a try.

Comment

Thanks for the info painless.

I also felt better with contacts, I used Acuvue Advanced before. But now with my RGP's my eyes don't feel as good. I am very happy that you mentioned the cleaning solution you used! I am very sensitive to solutions and I know i've used that one before without any problems. One Optometrist said with those types of contacts I could only use Opti-Free...which makes my eyes sting and burn something terrible! So I will use clear care when I get my trial lenses.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Comment

Hello elvishthistle,

You may need to look into a different cleaning regimen for your RGPs. When RGPs aren't perfectly clean, they get less comfortable. I suggest you get a recheck by the doctor who fit them for you.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by gz9gjg View Post
              Hello elvishthistle,

You may need to look into a different cleaning regimen for your RGPs. When RGPs aren't perfectly clean, they get less comfortable. I suggest you get a recheck by the doctor who fit them for you.

Good luck,

Lynne
              I definitely have these clean! I had to switch cleaning solution for these RGP's because I was sensitive to the Boston Solution. I am using the Lobob extra strength cleaner now, everything from the Lobob line really. My eye Dr. has seen them a few times on (since i've been going every 2 weeks for 3 months). During the 1st week of these contacts though I didn't have them very clean and they definitely were uncomfortable. So I am aware of that
              These are my 3rd pair of RGP's in 4 months, for the little touch ups etc.

Comment

Ok, this is my 1st day of trying out Oasys contacts. So far they are very comfortable. But I am still worried. Are these lenses the right choice? Will they upset my Dry Eye even worse? For once My eyes aren't super red and bloodshot like they were with the RGP's. That is a good sign I think.

Comments? $0.02 welcome!

ETA:
                I wanted to mention that I was told to only wear my contacts for a limited amount of time each day. I'm not supposed to go over 10 hours. Did anyone else get this advice? As much as I don't want to listen I am grateful I can still wear contacts at all.

Comment

Originally posted by elvishthistle View Post
                  I've been having a hard time with my RGP lenses. While they are finally comfortable for me they get intolerable after about 8 hours. I went to my recent visit and the Dr. Said my eyes were very red/veiny...this was also about my 8 hour mark. I never had this much eye redness from acuvue advanced but I had to stop them because of my Dry eye. So the Doc said she would get a trial pair of Acuvue Oasys for me to try as she would rather I wear those than have my eyes be so red. I would just have to limit my wear below 16 hours etc. So while I like this idea, it makes me worried. Has anyone had good experience with these? I don't want to start all over just to go back to RGP's. Any insight into this matter would be very much appreciated.

Also to add...I use restasis, Systane Ultra, and have lower plugs.
                  Hi!
                  Acuvue Oasys ruined my life because they ruined my eyes. That's my experience with those lenses. But some people like them.
                  I tried them for a couple of days two years ago after 15 years of comfortable lens wear (hydrogels). They got stuck on my eyes and after that I developed dry eyes. Since then I can only wear glasses and my eyes are extrremely dry, light sensitive and red. So be careful!

Comment

I've been wearing Oasys for at least 2 years, and I really like them. I can definitely see better in my contacts than in my glasses (in fact, my glasses are so bad I can almost see as well without them, and my eyes are pretty bad).

I don't know that they upset my dry eye much as I don't know the cause of my dry eyes. All I know is that I love my contacts

Comment

Thank you for the comments!

I need to be checked in 2 months to see how my eyes are reacting to these contacts and then every few months after that so I don't fall into the same pattern.

I had problems with my previous hydrogels too, that's what started my whole dryness issue I believe. But so far the Oasys contacts are good. I think because I'm really limiting my wear (only 8 hrs) and have constant check ups that might be helping.

If things don't look that great in a few months I will try Proclear lenses next. When I asked about these my Dr. said that she used to prescribe those for Dry eye patients all the time but uses Oasys now because it seems to work better for DE patients.

We'll see though I guess. I'm sure no contacts is the smarter choice in either case! I wear my glasses everyday still after work, and my eyes are happy at the moment. These contacts seems to have 50/50 reviews on here though.

Did anyone else get the advice to only wear them for half of the time?

Comment

I wear Acuvue 2 and have since I was 17. Most recently Ive had to limit my contact wear since they make my eyes so dry and irritated I mostly wear them when I go out at night because driving at night with glasses just doesnt provide the same level of visual clarity for me. Not sure if that is normal or not. I tried Oasys but I think that my eyes do not like silicone hydrogel lenses. They feel great for the first day but then get very cloudy and "gummy" over the next few days and I had to toss them. I might be sensitive to what they are made of but I know others who love Acuvue 2 but can't wear the hydrogels. You could try it and see or get the one day lenses that you can toss since that would eliminate the buildup probs, etc. Luckily I have no astigmatism so I dont need RGP but I feel your pain with not being able to tolerate lenses as much anymore. I wore them all day and night in my 20s without problems but maybe that's why my eyes are so screwy right now
                        Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X