This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Citalophram start my DES?

I started taking citalophram 6/08 after several boughts of insomnia due to severe depression from a bad pregnancy. It helped me greatly & I weaned myself off 6/09.
    A few months later I started feeling depresses again but did not go back on. Started noticing vision changes & finally in November went to the eye doc because of blurred vision & eye pain. Had severe dry eye & inflammation.

Have been on anti-inflammatory & eye drops. After a month of this, I started taking the citalophram again as I am really depressed & one of my DES symptoms, the cold/menthol feeling is gone.

Although my eyes are still dry I am wondering if the citalophram started the whole DES. I am going to stop it for a few days & see if the cold/menthol symptom comes back (although my mood is better so I am a little hesitant).

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

I am wondering if there is an alternative for citalophram that doesn't have anything to do with dry eye.

Thanks.

Hi there,

It's really hard to say what started it all for you. Could be the medication, could be hormone changes from pregnancy, could be the stress, or a combination of all of them.

As for the citalopram, I know that the literature for the drug does mention dry mouth as a possible side-effect and whenever that is listed, there is typically the coinciding chance for dry/drier eyes as well.

I took it for a year and saw no change in my DES at all. None for the better or worse. (I began taking it years after my eye problems began.) I actually have considered going on it again because it did not negatively effect my eyes and am worried that another anti-depressant might.

You could definitely go off for a while to see if there is any improvement in your eye symptoms or not. Take care.

Comment

Working...
    X