This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imitrex -migraines? hurt dry eye?

I get migraines occassionaly and am getting to the point where I may need to try Imitrex. Has anyone used it and if so does it hurt the eyes? make them dry or anything?

thanks in advance.
    jenny
    Jenny

Hey girl!

Yes, I have migraines, too and have used Imitrex. I didn't notice any changes with the eye (like increased dryness). Sometimes, when I have really severe migraines it will trigger terrible eye pain, too. It feels like my eyeballs are bruised when I try to move them side to side. My migraine regimen is Imitrex and Acular eye drops. Does the trick every time!

The only downside to the triptans (class of migraine medicine to which Imitrex belongs) is that none of them are available in generic. So it can be a little expensive. I think it comes with 7 pills per blister pack.

The other way to treat migraines is a cocktail of benadryl (antihistamine), tramadol (pain pill) and compazine (anti-nausea pill). The combination of the three works synergistically to alleviate migraines. Although the exact mechanism in which the three work together is unknown. This is what they gave me in the E.R. when I had my worst migraine ever.

Comment

Wow.. Thanks for your response! I will def try the imitrex first. So glad it doesn't seem to have bad 'eye' affects! thanks!
      Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
        I get migraines occassionaly and am getting to the point where I may need to try Imitrex. Has anyone used it and if so does it hurt the eyes? make them dry or anything?

thanks in advance.
        jenny
        Jenny,
        I suffer from migraines too along with dry eye. I used Imitrex years ago and it didn't really help my migraines, so I am not sure if it will hurt the eyes. However, I use Zomig nasal spray when I feel a migraine coming on and it works well. It also helps when I start to feel a headache coming on from my dry eyes. Zomig has not bothered my eyes.
        Good luck!

Comment

thanks everyone!!!
          Jenny

Comment

Working...
          X