X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neurontin?

has anyone tried this med for eye pain?
    Jenny

I tried neurontin for nerve pain. It was originally an epilepsy medication. The way it works for pain is by stopping abnormal nerve impulses that carry the pain message.
    *I just would like to add the disclaimer that I do not suffer from dry eye myself; my service dog does. I want to stay up on treatments, and offer support to others!

Comment

A bit of info about Neurontin

Back pain; changes in vision (double or blurred vision); clumsiness; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; nausea; stomach upset; tiredness; vomiting; weight gain.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/neurontin-s...#ixzz0lra9WbTg

Might try Muro 128 eye drops I've been using them for years now, I use them for my mucuos eye strings I suffer from, these eye drops are for corneal edema but also helps with inflammation which could be causing your eye pain? My ex-bf's mom suffers badly from chronic pain and uses the Neurontin, I don't think it's the best pain medication that you could use, this is only my opinion though. Best of luck to you. Your Dry Eye Friend D

Comment

thanks everyone. i am too scared to try it..
        Jenny

Comment

i got bad tremors (temporarily) from it and no pain relief. not very fun. but it also really helps some people

Comment

I never had bad side effects from it, but I also didn't get pain relief from it.
            *I just would like to add the disclaimer that I do not suffer from dry eye myself; my service dog does. I want to stay up on treatments, and offer support to others!

Comment

Neurontin made my dry eyes worse. I later started Lyrica for some nerve pain in my eye and also Sjogrens pain systemically. Lyrica does work for me. It definitely doesn't help dry eye pain, but does help nerve pain that might be associated with dry eyes.

I also use Muro like Delilah sometimes, although I use the ointment and at night.
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I take Lyrica now for nerve pain as well and it does work for me.

Comment

I am making the point and I think Lin is too, that for regular dry eye pain whether it's burning or stinging or whatever--Lyrica does not help this kind of pain. If you have something like trigeminal neuralgia or other neuralgia type pain in your eye or eyes, even in the face area Lyrica might work.

Lin, if I'm wrong you can correct me. This is true in my case. I think some people may believe Lyrica will help regular dry eyes and I'm thinking not. It never hurts to try though. Lyrica is very expensive and I had to go through a bunch of trials of other drugs before my insurance would cover it. My co-pay is $90/month with insurance.
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Some crappy rheumatologist tried to get me to take it for my Raynauds and the Fibromyalgia that I don't have that he insisted that I do have. (He's an idiot). Anywho, the neurontin didn't help the neuropathic pain I have in my fingers as a result of the Raynauds AT ALL. All it did was make me really lethargic and hypersomnic in the morning so I would oversleep and be late for work.

I quit taking it after a week.

Comment

I tried it. Made me feel just like Oxycodone, lethargic and "empty headed". Didn't relieve pain, just made you not care!

Comment

neurontin stopped my suicide

This started for me 5.5 years ago. I was shopping and suddenly had singeing, bacon grease or welding spark-like pain in both my lower lash line areas. For 3 months I was crazy with pain and had to be "babysat" so I wouldn't kill myself. I was put in the hospital for weight loss and dehydration and during that time I saw a neurologist who felt my pain was due to nerve pain in the eyes. He prx neurontin. I was also put on tramadol and cymbalta. These don't help my dry eyes any (which I had prior to the pain starting but they didn't bother me) but it has made my 10+ pain go down to a 1-5. Life isn't great for me but I'm not suicidal anymore. I heard lyrica can be more drying and have worse side effects than neurontin which is an old drug. I've been on 1200mg 3X/day for 5.2 years and I'm very healthy. (Aside from the fact most of the doctors I've seen think I have something psycosumatic)

and yes....when you start it you're a mess for awhile. If you try it start with a low dose and keep going up until you get to a "comfortable" level. I was at 1500 and went back down a bit.

Comment

Working...
                        X