This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic conjunctivitis/eye allergies

It is spring again. This is when my eyes always act up. This is the first year though that I have faced it with my severe DES. Does anyone know if it is safe to use over the counter eye drops for allergy eye symptoms and if so, which brand(s) are OK? I know Visine makes some and I won't go near those or anything that says it relieves redness. But what about those that contain antihistamines and decongestants? Will those make dry eye worse? I plan to ask my eye doc when I go next week, but also thought it was a timely topic to bring up in case anyone else might be facing similar issues.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Don't know about the OTC stuff, but I've heard uniformly good things about Patanol (Rx).

http://www.patanol.com/

Good luck!

Comment

Patanol was also recommended to me with my DES. Also, there is an OTC drop called Similisan (you've probably heard of it). In that line of drops there is one indicated for allergy eyes. I've never tried it, but it could be worth a try...
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
        It is spring again. This is when my eyes always act up.
        Me, too--juniper tree pollen, strong winds, and very low humidity = New Mexico in the spring.
        Does anyone know if it is safe to use over the counter eye drops for allergy eye symptoms and if so, which brand(s) are OK?
        I'd stay away from the Visine. I have used Naphcon (sp?) and WalMart's "equate" brand "eye allergy relief" (Naphazoline .03% and Pheniramine maleate .32%). I'm very conservative and only use it at night before bed, once a day. It calms down the reactiveness. They both are "redness relievers and the Pheniramine is an antihistamine.
        Also just try rinsing your eyes out with plain saline solutions like Unisol several times a day. The allergy reaction produces lots of debris and proteins in the tears, which you can wash out.
        Will those make dry eye worse?
        Maybe. But you can use the allergy drops sparingly.
        C66

Comment

Thanks much. I will ask for my doc's recommendations for sure. I did an experiment and am paying the price. I took some Alavert. Helped with the itchy watery eyes, but made the burning and dryness much worse. At least I know what symptoms belong to which affliction! My suggestion to anyone with DES is not to take any sort of antihistamine by mouth!
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I had good luck with the simalian (sp?) drops for allergies.

Comment

yikes, personally Patanol was not good for my eyes at all. My doctors perscribed me Patanol before anything else. That stuff dried out my eyes like crazy and made them more irritated and red than before. i tried it again last year because i was taking other drops and thought they might balance each other out, but it was still too drying. just my two cents.

oh, and if your allergies are really bad every spring, have you ever considered getting allergy shots? it might take a few years, but i think it would eventually get rid of your allergy problems.
              -Amy

Comment

opps writen msg twice
                I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Patonal does say on the side effect insert list 'dry eyes', i was given this by one doc, just as a cant do anything else so ill just give you this, coz its the easy option to day you have allergies.. I was worried about the dryness-i think i noticed a drying effect 2, but i only used a couple of daysm got scared and stoped..Thats the trouble with these things, you cant try something in fear it will compromise the dry eye. I didnty notice a drying with the other allergy drops- optrex and rapital-didnt help my stmptoms either, because of course the problem isnt allergies its dry eyes, although i do have some signs of allergy.
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I looked up all the popular Rx allergy eye drops and they all list dry eye, burning, watering and itching as possible side effects, some worse than others. It's probably like anything else, some people do ok with them, other's don't.

Comment

beware of benzalkonium in anti-allergic drops

Hi,

Patanol (or Opatanol in Europe) - olopatadine drops that is - is quite an effective anti-inflammatory agent but unfortunately it currently contains benzalkonium and is therefore abrasive for the human cornea... especially severe dry eye / compromised corneas...

It may sound absurd but if the active principle helps the preservative does the opposite. So let's hope Alcon will consider solving this obvious contradiction... by simply using non-preserved vials or some other type of non-preserved container.

you may contact them thru their website to question them on this issue... this would be an important advocacy work on behalf of all our corneas

take care
                      kakinda

Comment

Just found one....

Preservative free eyedrop for allergy:

Acular PF, from Allergan

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/Acular_PF_O..._Solution.html

Never tried it, but....

Comment

Thanks very much!

Comment

allergies

Kitty,
                            Sorry to hear about your DES. I know what it's like. I am guilty as charged for having DES! LOL. Oh my gosh I know exactly what you're talking about with this spring season, my eyes are terrible around this time of year. Seeign as I had allergy testing and was allerigc to EVERYTHING they tested for, EXCEPT cockroaches and tobacco! woohoo! So i could have a pet cockroach who smokes!!! LOL..Ok, ok back on topic. I am however allergic to trees,weeds,grasses,cats,dogs,dust,mites,and molds! Ugh, yuck! huh? I know even in the past week or so my eyes have been acting up like crazy. That's the thing, I already have allergies, and now with the dry eye as well makes it even worse, with the redness and itchy and dryness. It really stinks. I tried patanol, but found it made my eye more dry, like soem of you had mentioned. I dont know of any other things except for my refresh plus is what i use on a daily basis.

Good luck with everything all!
                            Hang in there!
                            We can beat this!

Comment

Caution

Only Acular PF (stands for Preservative-free) does not contain preservatives but otherwise Acular, and Acular LS, contain benzalkonium ... and as noted above it shouldn't, if laboratories really cared for our eyes.
                              The prescription leaflet is available on the Allergan website but I still haven't found Acular PF on their site.

Kakinda

Comment

Working...
                              X