Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 step forward, 2 steps back... and now I'm stuck.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 step forward, 2 steps back... and now I'm stuck.

First of all I've got to say I'm so glad I'm not the only one struggeling with red/dry eyes, and reading all your posts have made me feel a bit more optimistic about my eye situation.

It all started when I went on bcp a few years back. Then they got much worse when I went on accutane for 6 months (low dose), and my eyes haven't gotten any better since I got off accutane years ago. I've been to see a few doctors and they say there's nothing wrong with my eyes per se, but it's the eye lids that are not doing what they're supposed to. My lower eye lids are inflamed - but the left is much worse than the right. This leaves my eyes always looking red, and they usually get worse as the day progresses.

I did try doxycycline for a short period of time, but it completely dried out my skin/eyes/lips (just like it was while on accutane), so I stopped. I don't really understand how doxy is supposed to work if it dries out everything...? I've also tried restasis, which seemed ok for about a week, but after that my eyes got so red I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror, and it was painful. God it was painful.

I've tried topical antibiotics/steroids/patanol etc etc. Nothing really seems to make a difference. My doctor put me on efemoline, which she really thought was going to help, but I ended up having a horrible reaction to it.

I have to mention that I live in a very hot/humid climate, and over Christmas I went to a colder place and my eyes cleared up. At that time I was also consistently using pred forte and patanol, but I'm pretty sure the cool weather alone did wonders for my eyes.
    My eyes actually started clearing up as soon as I got on the plane, which sounds crazy. Unfortunately I'm not able to move away from where I'm living, so I've got to find a way to deal with this eye issue. But do you think it's possible that cold weather/low humidity levels alone can have such an amazing effect on inflamed eyes?

I've also tried hot and cold compresses. Although the warm ones feel great, I'm not sure if they're doing anything for my eyes. I think perhaps the cool ones keep my eyes looking whiter for a bit longer, but I might be wrong.

I am thinking of trying other kinds of antibiotics, such as minocycline and erythromycin. I am wondering, though, if they have the same drying effect on the skin and eyes as doxy does? And although I have found a doctor (opthamologist) who seems more understanding than my previous ones, she doesn't really seem to know what's going on with my eyes. But the fact that they looked so good while abroad must mean that there's hope for me, right? Please tell me there's hope ) I keep looking at these photos from years ago and I can't stop staring at my beautiful, white eyes. I used to get so many compliments, now all I hear is that I look tired.

Anyway, that's my story. Would love to hear any comments you might have

ps. I forgot to mention that I used to have insanely oily skin, but it's normal, almost dry now after being on accutane.

You are not in this alone!

Just wondering if you have ever been tested for allergies? Do your eyes burn or itch when the lids/whites get red? I may be WAY off base, but I have allergies and my eyes get really red and the lids as well when I'm having an attack, whereas when I'm not having any allergy attacks, the lids are white when I peel them back, and my eyes are quite white too (have some big veins, but mostly white).

The fact that you got better in a cold environment and away from home could also suggest allergies as well. I have dry eyes and allergies, which go hand in hand.

To commiserate, I am constantly dealing with red eyes and very self conscious and depressed about it. I'm on Alrex 1x a day (steroid) and pataday 1x a day plus I find that it is helpful to put in pf artificial tears that have been in the fridge for a while. Takes the burn and itch away for a bit.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great ideas here and I wish the best for you and that you can get back to how you were before - you are NOT the only one who looks at past photos of when your eyes were white and comfortable, longing to have THOSE eyes back!

Comment

Originally posted by Nanerpus View Post
      Just wondering if you have ever been tested for allergies? Do your eyes burn or itch when the lids/whites get red? I may be WAY off base, but I have allergies and my eyes get really red and the lids as well when I'm having an attack, whereas when I'm not having any allergy attacks, the lids are white when I peel them back, and my eyes are quite white too (have some big veins, but mostly white).

The fact that you got better in a cold environment and away from home could also suggest allergies as well. I have dry eyes and allergies, which go hand in hand.

To commiserate, I am constantly dealing with red eyes and very self conscious and depressed about it. I'm on Alrex 1x a day (steroid) and pataday 1x a day plus I find that it is helpful to put in pf artificial tears that have been in the fridge for a while. Takes the burn and itch away for a bit.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great ideas here and I wish the best for you and that you can get back to how you were before - you are NOT the only one who looks at past photos of when your eyes were white and comfortable, longing to have THOSE eyes back!
      Thank you for your reply, Nanerpus. I have been tested for allergies, and apparently I'm not allergic to anything. If I could only figure out what triggers the inflammation, I would feel a lot better. Today was a particularely tough day, and yet I don't know why. I completely understand where you're coming from when you say you're so self-conscious and depressed about the whole thing. When it gets really bad I just want to stay at home and hide, unfortunately with my schedule that's seldom an option.

I use these artificial drops called vislube. They come in small individual vials, which I really like. Today I bought a couple of eyedrops that I'm excited to try out. I'll let you know how it goes. Let's beat this thing together

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
        I have oily skin and cystic acne. The only thing that keeps my skin under control is birth control. I never experimented with accutane as my dermatlogist decided to try bc pills first. I was also on doxycycline on and off for a year for both the skin and meibomian glands.
        Like you, it dried my skin, lips, mouth and possibly my eyes. It also gave me horrible heart burn and espophagal spasms. I sopped it several months ago and never went back on it.
        Birth control did wonders for my skin as well, and I don't regret using it. I'm glad you decided against accutane. Did you try any other antibiotics?

Comment

Yes, I tried a few others but after several months of use became resistant. To be honest, I don't like the idea of being on any antibiotics long term. I resorted to birth control after discountinuing them for 2 years and realised they were not making my eye situation worse.
          Dear Chemia - I am curious to know if any other antibiotics gave you temprary relief? I probably won't even try antibiotics again, but would love to know which one actually worked (until you became resistant, that is.)

I feel like all eye drops make my lower lids more inflamed (except for artifical tears), which leads to bright red eyes. I have decided that I'm going to move to a cooler climate in 4 or 5 months time, and that way it'll also be easier for me to get proper treatment. This sounds quite extreme, but it's worth it. I don't want to be a shadow of my former self anymore - and I'm sick of wearing sunglasses all the time. And hopefully after a few months of proper treatment I'll be able to move back here

Comment

I would say doxycycline worked the best for my skin. I honestly do not think it made a difference to the eye discomfort. The reason I know it helped my skin beacuse it would calm down the inflammed cysts and my oily skin became a lot drier. 2 months later I would develop cysts again. I should also say that in the past I could take doxy for at least 6 months before I became resistant. Recently though, 2 months and it stops working.
            I even tried 50 mg doxy and I still had problems with it. Like I said I use my skin as an indication if the antibiotic is working since the eyes don't make a difference.
            You can always use doxycycline for a few months and then reduce the frequency and eventually stop.
            I'm sorry you're having problems with doxy, Chemia. My skin is already very dry (yet clogged), so I'm extremely hesitant to try any drugs that might dry out my skin even more. Over the last few days I've been using patanol, pred forte and artifical eye drops (vislube) religiously - and my eyes are looking good. I'm so confused. I'm starting to get the feeling that I am in fact allergic to something, so I'm trying to experiment with different foods, skincare products etc. I'm also drinking a lot of water, hoping that will help.

I've been reading a couple of threads regarding using botox to relieve dry eye symptoms. I'm actually due for my regular injections very soon, and I'm excited to hear what my doctor has to say about it... Anyway - I would love to hear from people who use botox and if they feel it has had any effect on their dry eyes.. )

Comment

Working...
            X