This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Oral) Allergy meds that hurt dry eye

Has anyone come across some research or articles of what allergy meds make dry eye worse? I am starting to question if my allergy meds make things worse at times. At the same time I am a little afraid if I stop taking it will cause my eyes to flare up more red then they already are.

In the past I used the generic form of allegra. Now I am taking zyrtec and nasonex.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Todd

i cannot use any drops with preservative in them esp BAK.. they cause instability in my tear film. Before all of this i could use allergy eye drops.. now i have to use non preserved prednisol when my allergies flare up...
    Jenny

Comment

Thanks Jenny.

Many years ago I used something called opcon -a or something like that, it was over the counter and got the red out, but had to use it every 4-6 hours..then it turned to 3 hours and so on. It got so bad I went to the ER one night, so no more take out the red drops for me!

I use pataday for allergies and it helps. I have no issues with using that. I more was leaning towards what allergy meds, like oral antihistimates cause more dry eye. I recently purchased the Dry Eye Remedy and read that allergy meds can make things worse, so it made me think about it.

The problem for me when my eyes get red or irritated..it's the question..is it more due from dry eye or allergy eye?

Comment

oh i am sorry.. i see what you are saying.. uhmm i often ponder that too.. in the spring and summer my allergies are so bad but even when i took one sudaphed it dried my eyes out so bad it wasn't worth it... i am tempted to try something new this spring if i get the really bad allergies again. i guess you can always try a pill one time and if it dries you out you know you just can't take it then... I would love to be able to find something that helped with allergies but wasn't drying but i believe that is what anti-histamines do-dry everything up..sux.

good luck
        Jenny

Comment

I take Zyrtec once in awhile and I do notice my eyes are dryer on the days I take it.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
            I take Zyrtec once in awhile and I do notice my eyes are dryer on the days I take it.
            I stopped taking it for a couple days and somehow my eyes feel dryer and more red and itchy. I would expect the opposite reaction. It's possible the allergy is kicking up and making things worse.

Comment

Working...
            X